free website stats program Break In Service | Harley Davidson Forums

Break In Service

MadTalDisease

Hey guys, I just recently bought a new 48 and I'd prefer to do my own maintenance on my bike like I do on my car. I'm not a mechanic but I know how to change oil and inspect parts to see if they're looking good.
Anyways the question I have is do I NEED to go to the dealership for maintenance on my Harley? The dealer made it sound like the "break in" 1000 mile service had to be done at the dealership (he said it'd take all day, etc.)
I looked over the owners manual at the service schedule and everything seemed pretty basic. Do you think I can do everything on my own or do I need to keep sending my money towards the dealer?? haha

Also I was looking at some of the tips on synthetic oil on the forums and I'm going to go to with the switch at my 1000 mile service. But I noticed a lot of guys were saying "yeah I switch it for all 3 holes", what does that mean? Sorry I'm such a noob but are there 3 different oils that need to be replaced on a bike?

Thanks in advance!

read the manual and i think u can do it ur self , u can do it on ur cage . take ur time read it a couple of times to understand it alll . put ur money into something else . i dont even know what they get for an oil change . freind took his to local shop for the oil . think it was 65 dollars , and hour wait. 1000 mile a little more checking and changing primary . J/M/O

I have seen the list for the 1000 mile service on my Dyna while at the dealership.

Oil change and filter
Change primary fluid
Change Tranny fluid
Adjust clutch Derby pressure screw & cable

And 35 checks such as, check tire pressure (close enough) , check horn (beep beep),,check headlight (I see),,check belt tension (are you kidding),, check fall away (ya right, like that will ever happen),,.Road test (get off my ride pal) ..... and so on and so on...

and all for the modest price of $420 plus tax.

Even a boat with a pair of 200HP outboards does not have a first time check up cost that high while under warranty.

Best bike service investment advice I can give is:

1. Follow glider's 30/60/30 engine break-in post
2. Purchase bike's service manual
3. Use good oil & change after 30/60/30 break-in (Spectro, M1 synth, Amsoil are top pics)
4. Self-service & ride safe!

Congrats on the new scoot, ride safe & have fun!

I have seen the list for the 1000 mile service on my Dyna while at the dealership.

Oil change and filter
Change primary fluid
Change Tranny fluid
Adjust clutch Derby pressure screw & cable

And 35 checks such as, check tire pressure (close enough) , check horn (beep beep),,check headlight (I see),,check belt tension (are you kidding),, check fall away (ya right, like that will ever happen),,.Road test (get off my ride pal) ..... and so on and so on...

and all for the modest price of $420 plus tax.

Even a boat with a pair of 200HP outboards does not have a first time check up cost that high while under warranty.

IMO the first checkup/service shouldn't be at a charge to the customer being they were already charged for "setup" and things wear in after some miles but they don't see it that way. Any way to slip it to the customer is fine with them including the "shop supplies" that most bills get charged with. You pay for the same rag that has been used all day but so did everyone else too.:D

Do you think I can do everything on my own or do I need to keep sending my money towards the dealer?? haha

See my thread in the Sportster forum - bit of a noob myself but, for what its worth:
If you check in the self help section & tips on here I think you'll find that as long as the service IS DONE (whether by you or the dealer), the warranty will not be a problem. Just keep your receipts, make out a schedule, tick the boxes, record the miles & date it.

Sorry I'm such a noob but are there 3 different oils that need to be replaced on a bike?

On your bike, no. Only engine & transmission. 3 applies to the big twins as far as I know....

Good luck

The primary and the transmission share the same oil on a Sportster. And as was previously stated, as long as you keep your receipts, you can do your own maintenance without voiding your warranty.

Back