free website stats program Brand new Street Bob: first impressions | Harley Davidson Forums

Brand new Street Bob: first impressions

ugocon

Finally the day has come: today I gave back to the dealer my XL1200R (July '08) and picked up my brand new Street Bob '09 black denim with windshield and additional lights.:p

Let's see the differences with the Sportster:

Sound: (both have stock pipes) definitely better on the Dyna! The sound has a lower pitch and it's enjoyable even with the stock exhaust pipes.

Weight: the lower position of the seat makes feeling the bike even lighter than the Sporty!

Clutch: much less effort in pulling the lever than with the Sporty: truly amazing!

Engine: on another planet! :yes No stuttering at lower rpm, smooth increase of rpm regardless the inserted gear: at 80 kph (about 50mph) I could hold the 6th gear (shortly: I'm in the very first period of use...) whilst on the Sporty I had to gear down to 4th gear!

And now the down side....

BRAKES !

Awful!! :nosad

I almost hit a wall at the dealer shop because the bike simply didn't slow down (with the effort on the lever and pedal I was used to with the Sporty).

I sincerely don't understand how can H-D design a single front brake for a 300kg (600 pounds) bike!!!

I need to get used to it, that's for sure, but I think one of my next customizations will be an additional front brake disk!

Final consideration... so far! :s

Great buy: the look is great and the engine performances are very promising, but.... I'm really disappointed for the poor effect of the brakes: safety should be a must in every bike!

I know that a Dyna is not the right bike to perform "stoppies".. :reyes but I feel somehow limited in my driving style for the need of slowing down way earlier than I'm used to approaching a curve!

Anyway, it can be fixed somehow and this doesn't affect my overall satisfaction for the first ride from the dealer to my place (about 10 miles...)

Ciao
Ugo

The brakes will improve with miles traveled once the pads seat in. Give it a chance. Much more bike than a sporty.

I made the same switch last March. I traded in my Nightster for a Black Denim Street Bob.

It was a great choice! I hope you enjoy your new ride!

As Glider said, the brakes definitely improve once the pads get seated.

Finally the day has come: today I gave back to the dealer my XL1200R (July '08) and picked up my brand new Street Bob '09 black denim with windshield and additional lights.:p

Let's see the differences with the Sportster:

Sound: (both have stock pipes) definitely better on the Dyna! The sound has a lower pitch and it's enjoyable even with the stock exhaust pipes.

Weight: the lower position of the seat makes feeling the bike even lighter than the Sporty!

Clutch: much less effort in pulling the lever than with the Sporty: truly amazing!

Engine: on another planet! :yes No stuttering at lower rpm, smooth increase of rpm regardless the inserted gear: at 80 kph (about 50mph) I could hold the 6th gear (shortly: I'm in the very first period of use...) whilst on the Sporty I had to gear down to 4th gear!

And now the down side....

BRAKES !

Awful!! :nosad

I almost hit a wall at the dealer shop because the bike simply didn't slow down (with the effort on the lever and pedal I was used to with the Sporty).

I sincerely don't understand how can H-D design a single front brake for a 300kg (600 pounds) bike!!!

I need to get used to it, that's for sure, but I think one of my next customizations will be an additional front brake disk!

Final consideration... so far! :s

Great buy: the look is great and the engine performances are very promising, but.... I'm really disappointed for the poor effect of the brakes: safety should be a must in every bike!

I know that a Dyna is not the right bike to perform "stoppies".. :reyes but I feel somehow limited in my driving style for the need of slowing down way earlier than I'm used to approaching a curve!

Anyway, it can be fixed somehow and this doesn't affect my overall satisfaction for the first ride from the dealer to my place (about 10 miles...)

Ciao
Ugo

Yep, ran into the same then and now scenario, only in reverse...I tried several early Harleys and the brakes as Hobbit says felt comparable to "Fred Flintstones" were needed scenario...NO SALE! Many years later tried my Sporty w/dual discs -- much better...SOLD!! Given options and knowing most of HD's big tourer's use dual discs...I would start with 1) patience and utilize your existing hardware first to properly "bed the pads" using firm braking in safe area, and over the next few 100 miles. 2) If still not satisfied, upgrade brake lines & bleed brakes to be sure, and 3) Modify further IF it still does not meet your expectations. :s

Well, I couldn't wait until weekend... :)
Tonight after back home from office I had to mount the beast again!
I had other 15 kms around home, testing the stock and additional beams.
I must say that "the day after" things seem different: the initial shock for the brakes weakness has turned into a more careful approach exploring the limits.

I managed braking the bike in many situations: still don't want to force yet, anyway.

I'm getting more convinced that this bike is great!

My only doubt now is if the ape hanger is comfortable on longer trips: never tried this riding position on a bike before!

Need to spend more time on the Street Bob soon, hopefully this weekend....

BTW... talking about Flintstones....
My wife's name is Wilma (not kidding!)
:D:D:D

Ciao
Ugo

Glad you are enjoying it. I ride my 06 Bob and hour each way to work. I can say the riding position is comfortable for that length, although I have had a few instances where my hands start to go a little numb from the blood flow, but I think it is more me since it only happened a few times. Other option that I have seen people are the street slammer bars, but I really prefer the look of the mini-apes myself so I am keeping them.

Congrats on your purchase. If the brakes do not get to the point they meet your expectations, you can go dual on the front. This has been done a couple different ways. Some have gone with V-Rod lowers. The Fat Bob lowers are also an option. Neither are cheap. PM me if you are interested in a link to a website which details the installation of V-Rod lowers.

I'm getting used to the brakes...
But every time I'm amazed how this bike is great!:)

The riding position looks pretty confortable, but since it's raining almost every day here :( I couldn't test it long.

I still need to test it on a real mountain winding road: I don't expect a supersport performance but I want to see at what angle the footpegs scratch the ground!

Still waiting for the derby cover "Hobbit style"... longing for it!

Ciao
Ugo

It takes a good bit to scape them, but my mids have definitely scraped and once the rubber wore down on the peg (my alarm that I was a little too close) I started hearing metal, which I realized during my cleaning that is was the exhaust so take it easy. Next year I'll be slowing down a bit more on the turns. :D

Back