free website stats program brand new Nightster, can I put new exhaust on??? | Harley Davidson Forums

brand new Nightster, can I put new exhaust on???

Pong

Guys, I have a few questions....

I own '09 Nightster and have just ridden it for about 200 miles... The question is can I install V&H Shortshot on such a low milage bike????

Also, can I install the exhaust without any other modification??? Will the engine be OK??? What effect does just installing exhaust do to the bike and how it rides???

I heard from somebody that installing shortshot on otherwise standard bike will hamper the performance from middle to top end range of rpm. Is that true??? Or should I go the route of exhaust+air filter+some type of ecu tuning at once????

Hi Pong...regarding your questions...

V&H Shortshots should be fine, but they are loud...! Keep your OEM takeoffs' in case exhaust sniffer/noise inspections become mandatory in your area.

If no other modifications, your ECM will detect leaner condition & compensate without drama. Longevity not affected, and you will realize slightly softer midrange, but less whizzing at mid to high RPM, with minor popping because they are short, less scavenging and closer to your ears.

Since the exhaust is less "stiffled" the top end performance should improve, but the RPM is limited by the factory ECU setting. Biggest gains will be realized if you do full Stage I A/F and Teclusion EFI fueler to allow user adjusted richer mixture for full Stage I for maximum effect.

Thanks, NEWHD74FAN.... I will try to install it soon. Loudness is OK around this part of Thailand...ha ha ha. My main concern is that the bike is very new, and I am not sure how it will react to the exhaust. I guess I will ride it a bit more before I install the SS.

if your in Thailand DO NOT put the pipes on without a Fueler, you will have problems with fueling your motor thru the lean condition created by the exhaust and the resultant and latent heat
Short Shots are basically just about baffled short drag pipes, i know i have had them on 3 bikes, they will cause a lean condition as the ECM will not cope even with the stock air cleaner, if you want to fit a pipe with out a fueler then fit a slip on pipe if you want the full system get the fueler with it and air cleaner and finish the job
as to how many miles do you need my shorts have alway been fitted at zero miles.

yup hobbit is right

Ohhh..... so, the best is to go all the way... I guess being in hotter climate has a lot to do with it. I guess I will ride it stock for a while then get the job done at the dealer during the 1st service.

Back