free website stats program Brakes Rubbing? | Harley Davidson Forums

Brakes Rubbing?

Joyflyin

Experienced Member
Staff member
Okay, here we go again. While working on my 'practice' 10K service, (I'm at 9K now), it appears that my brake pads are just barely rubbing the 'disc', (I'm tired & I'm not sure that is the correct term for the part). Is this normal, (guess I could go to some of the dealers mentioned to find that out, :D) or is there some easy way to adjust the pads out just a touch? Both wheels do spin easily, it just looks like the pads are rubbing, and I am pretty sure I can hear them, but I was too lazy to go over & turn the stereo off. Thanks again!

Okay, here we go again. While working on my 'practice' 10K service, (I'm at 9K now), it appears that my brake pads are just barely rubbing the 'disc', (I'm tired & I'm not sure that is the correct term for the part). Is this normal, (guess I could go to some of the dealers mentioned to find that out, :D) or is there some easy way to adjust the pads out just a touch? Both wheels do spin easily, it just looks like the pads are rubbing, and I am pretty sure I can hear them, but I was too lazy to go over & turn the stereo off. Thanks again!

Glider had the Maintenance Tip on the Brake Caliper Removal & Inspection. It is straight forward and easy. In the procedure it checks to make sure both pads release evenly and easily. It is normal for a little drag as all stock Harley brakes are Single Action, meaning when you squeeze the handle or press the pedal, they engage, but when you release, only the disc rotor runout (wobble if you will) gently nudges the pads open, forcefully if you accelerate normally from a stop and the rotor spins up fast. Both the pistons & pad pin contact points must be properly free moving and lubricated respectively for this to happen. Hope this helps! :s

Last edited:
Joy,

The short answer is that there is supposed to be some light contact between the brake pads and the rotors. Nothing to worry about if when you release the brakes (front or back) the wheels turn fairly easily and you can hear a quiet "shushing" sound as the wheel turns.

TQ

That sounds about right TQ, I will leave well enough alone. I just wasn't sure, so I thought I would ask. Better safe than sorry. :s Thanks guys! I didn't feel any type of problems when riding. I just wasn't sure. You all are the best! :cheers:cheers

Darn, I was reading and hoping for a Joy takes care of her brakes write up, just like you did for the oil :D

Brakes, I don't need no stinking brakes.....:p They only slow you down. :D Gotta take baby steps, I don't think I want to tackle brakes yet. :s Gotta see if I can do this & then have the bike run before I start delving into, oh, we'll just say, 'critical parts that are very important to my safety & the safety of those around me'.....:newsmile100:

Thanks Gary, I'm sure when the time comes, I'll be asking lots of questions.

Joy - Just to confirm what TQ said (he helped me on the same question re the fatboy a couple weeks ago), called and talked to a guy in the service dept at the dealership and over the phone he's pretty sure everything's normal (although they will take a quick look next time I'm over there to be sure)

Back