free website stats program Brake squeal after lowering kit installed | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake squeal after lowering kit installed

dcount

I just installed a lowering kit on my 06 Fatboy and noticed that the rear brake is now squeling when I come to a stop. The bike has around 11K miles on it and I was wondering if it is just time to replace the pads or something to do with the kit. Any ideas? The pads looked like there was still plenty left.
Thanks for the help. Also, is replacing the pads a pretty simple fix or should I let a shop handle it?

I would doubt that fitting a lowering kit would make the brakes squeal i am pretty sure that all brakes squeal but the pitch of the sound is outside what you can hear
if i get squeal from brakes i pull the brake bads and coat the back plate with copper grease refit them and squeal is now gone

Brian

Sorry i cant help you on that as i have not worked on any of the modern bikes

Brian

Thanks for the quick response. Does the wheel need to come off in order to pull the pads?

Sure is easier to do that way, IMHO. But I think it CAN be done without removing the wheel and thereby the rotor from the caliper. The down side to NOT removing the rotor from the caliper is the difficulty in cleaning the pistons BEFORE pushing them back into the calipers. Best bet is to follow the instructions in the manual so you do not lose the anti-rattle spring. See here:

Replacing Rear Brake Pads (Softail) - Harley Davidson Community

Brake Squeal - Harley Davidson Community

Reverse Brake Bleeding. - Harley Davidson Community

Brake Caliper Maintenance - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

yep just when i press the rear brake.

Thanks again for all the help. Ill let you know what I come up with. Im hoping that if it is the pads its something i can get done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back