free website stats program brake lights | Harley Davidson Forums

brake lights

trip18

we have a 2008 street glide, the brake light stays on, RH brake lever and foot pedal are clear. anyone have this problem?, from Bobby, north Dallas, TX.

we have a 2008 street glide, the brake light stays on, RH brake lever and foot pedal are clear. anyone have this problem?, from Bobby, north Dallas, TX.

Welcome to The Forum, check the rear brake light switch first, the close proximity to the exhaust causes problems also push forward on the front brake lever does the light go out? The small switch in the handle bar does break, have you had the controls off lately?

Any mods? have you changed the grips? Your front brake switch is very fragile and can be broken easily. If broken, your brake light will stay on and your cruise control won't work.

Thanks for the help! Cruise is not working as well. i bet thats the problem!

Sounds like it. Easy fix. Buy the switch for around 20 dollars, it is a simple install.

Orrrrr, when this happened to my 06 Roadking..I removed the brake lever and wrapped the end that goes inside the housing with duct tape...it was working fine a year later when I traded it in.

just remember to put a piece of card board or something in between the brake lever and brake lever bracket so the lever does not ketch the switch plunger and break it. just pull the lever back and insert into space and release lever before removal

Thank you Jack in Florida, and Mavagrand,:) looks like we got it, the inline rear brake sensor which is 20$ from dealer ( system is ABS) we are going to change out tonite. now, next question is; when changing the sensor, is there a chance of letting air into the system ? we are prepared to bleed the system and were going to change-out the rear pads as well. what i did yesterday, was disconected one of the 2 wires to sensor, and brake lite went out. when front brake is applied, brake lite comes on, so i believe the sensor is the problem. thanks to all from Bobby, Denton TX.

Thank you Jack in Florida, and Mavagrand,:) looks like we got it, the inline rear brake sensor which is 20$ from dealer ( system is ABS) we are going to change out tonite. now, next question is; when changing the sensor, is there a chance of letting air into the system ? we are prepared to bleed the system and were going to change-out the rear pads as well. what i did yesterday, was disconected one of the 2 wires to sensor, and brake lite went out. when front brake is applied, brake lite comes on, so i believe the sensor is the problem. thanks to all from Bobby, Denton TX.

ABS brakes can be tricky, open the bleeder to push the old fluid out the caliper when installing the pads. (NEVER) push old fluid on ABS brakes back into the master cylinder, it can cause sticking and leaking in control valves and solenoids. Keep the master full at all times while installing pads with bleeder open. When you bleed the caliper out use short strokes, long fast strokes will cause more air bubbles and could cause the master cylinder piston to travel TOO far and cause a seal to roll over loosing all pressure. You may need the dealer to scan the ABS to get all the air out, The scanner will open and close the ABS ports to evacuate the air, good luck and report back

Your welcome. My rear switch went bad a couple of months ago, I changed it without getting air in the line (don't touch the brake pedal with the switch out) but suspect I got lucky. I went ahead and changed out the fluid anyway because it was past time (my bike is an 08 like yours and the fluid had never been changed.). FWIW, I used the MityVac to change the brake fluid, made it an easy one man job. Just follow the directions. Good luck.

Back