free website stats program Brake light failure | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake light failure

Nautilus

Banned
Hey guys, I have a brake light question about my 95 fatboy. It seems it is not working and I already performed everything I found here, testing the switches, unpluggin the switches one by one,I even jumped the two wire in the front switch and nothing.The bulb is brand new but just one filament is lit and the other is in mint condition. What other problem could there be? I have some questions about some wire that end in nowhere and another wire that appeared out of nowher from the rear brake. Coming from the rear switch up to the relayI can see a green wire from the switch, but when it goes up near the relay I now see two green wires, one connected to the relay and the other one just there, unplugged. also,in the connecter close to the tank I see two wires that go into the plug but have no contact in the other half of the plug, is that normal? I'll try to get some pics as soon as possible for a better appreciation of what I'm saying.

thnx in advance for any input

yes it has a rear brake swith which I already tested by disconnecting it and just using the front switch or by jumping the front brake cables and still couldn't get anything.

And no, they don't have fuses, that's what I thought checking at firstbut couldn't find them anywhere, then searchedthe web and found out that early bikes like my 95 fatboy didn't have fuses, they had "breakers" or something like that...how am I gonna work that out if it is the problem?

You sure you dont have a cut wire somewhere.the wires come through a hole in the back fender and run along the inside.if you had a tire rub from say going over some bumps or pot holes it can cut the wire.

yes it has a rear brake swith which I already tested by disconnecting it and just using the front switch or by jumping the front brake cables and still couldn't get anything.

And no, they don't have fuses, that's what I thought checking at firstbut couldn't find them anywhere, then searchedthe web and found out that early bikes like my 95 fatboy didn't have fuses, they had "breakers" or something like that...how am I gonna work that out if it is the problem?

If you want to fix this your going to need a manual or else take it to a dealer.

The book will show you wire colour codes, wire harneses, connectors, test equiptment, fuses/breaker location and provide trouble shooing proceedures. Knowing where to look for a problem is half the battle.

Dangerdan has you covered, add to your list of tools a DMM (Digital Multi-Meter), doesn't have to be expensive, even the $7.99-$9.99 one at Harbor Freight is sufficient for voltage (electric "pressure"), ohms (resistance) and milliamps (current), and if not, at least a good 12V bulb/continuity checker with probe/lead.

Back