free website stats program Brake disk wear. | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake disk wear.

92Hoger

My 92 glide has 56K on it, and I intend to keep the bike forever.
I’m going to put a new disk on because the rear disk has peaks and valleys worn in it that look like the Rocky Mountains. When putting the belt back on, should it be put into the exact same grove on the rear sprocket as before? When I have the rear tire off I'm thinking about replacing the belt. What is the most difficult thing when doing it? Any other bits of helpful information I should know about when doing this job???

To replace the belt inolves a lot of work. You need to remove the primary chaincase and the rear swing arm before you will be able to remove the belt. 56k miles is no reason to replace the belt ubless there are major damages seen on the belt. Better wait another 50K miles.

Agree with Knotwillig. Unless there is a reason to do so (worn, cut, broken teeth) I don't think you need to replace the belt. It is a pain. Not sure you need to remove the swing arm, but the primary needs to come off completely (cover off, compensator, clutch basket and chain off, inner primary off). Swap out the belt and reassemble.

Not worth it "just to do it". If there is a problem, that is different.

TQ

What was I thinking!! Senior moment. Of course the swing arm has to come off. Duh!

Last edited:
My 92 glide has 56K on it, and I intend to keep the bike forever.
I’m going to put a new disk on because the rear disk has peaks and valleys worn in it that look like the Rocky Mountains. When putting the belt back on, should it be put into the exact same grove on the rear sprocket as before? When I have the rear tire off I'm thinking about replacing the belt. What is the most difficult thing when doing it? Any other bits of helpful information I should know about when doing this job???

I wouldn't go through the changing procedure unless the belt broke. Many have gone over 100K without a problem. The swing arm , inner primary and much more has to be taken off to replace the belt.

Here's a pictorial that will show you what needs to be done.

Drive Belt Replacement - Harley Davidson Community

I can't believe how much work it is to change the belt. I agree with all, run it till it breaks. Worst wreck I ever had was a chain breaking on an SV650 at about 50MPH and locking up the rear wheel. I've never heard of a harley drive belt doing this, has anyone?

Last edited:
Back