free website stats program Brake Cleaner Warning | Harley Davidson Forums

Brake Cleaner Warning

WOW Thats so weird. Ive used that a million times on greasy things to clean them up befor welding. Good to know and keep in mind.

Phosgene was used as a poison gas in ww1, wonder what brake cleaner it was, there is nothing on the msds for wurth brake cleaner regarding this. ive burned it n cleaned things before welding with it. he was lucky.

Heard about Phosgene gas used in WW1, but had no idea it would be generated from burning brake cleaner...but then when it comes to open flame and welding with chemicals around I am always leery of what should be used.

Placing a flame on any chlorinated solvent, Freon, chlorine gas, or even Halon will create phosgene gas. Never breath the white smoke. This guy is very lucky that he is alive although he will probably never be the same.

As for welding on galvanized metal, that is a different animal. It is metal poisoning. Symptoms of that can be reduced by drinking a lot of milk. To avoid breathing these vapors, use a strong fan for ventilation and a welding mask respirator.

Just like the guy said, household products can be very dangerous especially when exposed to an open flame (or TIG/MIG/ARC). I agree with his method of using a solvent to remove gunk but you really have to make sure all of the solvent volatilizes and is gone before welding. Also, to be really safe, you should purge any fuel tank with Nitrogen gas to remove any Oxygen before and while welding or you could go KA-BOOM!!!

wow halon gas is used as a fire supressent makes poison doesnt seem too smart Ive been in several worksites with halon systems glad none of them caught fire while I was there

Back