free website stats program Boring vs kit | Harley Davidson Forums

Boring vs kit

MH60MECH

I have read a little about 883 to 1200 conversions, which way to go has got me fustrated. Is it better to convert using a kit or boring the cylinders to 1200 specs. Anyone have an idea concering effect vs cost, etc.

It really boils down to economics and logistics.
If you buy the kit you have all the parts ready to put it back together as soon as you take it apart. If you get bored then you have to disassemble and wait for the machine work before you can put it back together.
Buying a kit is more expensive then having machine work done.

I know what ya mean about the ebay stuff. Have gotten a couple items that were not as described. I have seen the kits listed there but have been very wary of them. You know the old adage to good an offer to be true, then ya end up with junk.

On a side note are ya ready for Army to lose once again to Navy? GO NAVY! :laugh

Hobbit,
Could ya expound on the NRHS a bit? Unfortunatly my knowledge about aftermarket stuff is limited to the dress up catalouges.

I bought a 1200 kit off ebay a couple of years ago and it was perfect except for a bent fin on a jug. My local indy says it's less than half an hour of labor to fix that so it's nothing to get done.

I ended up buying a 1200N so that kit is still in my closet in the box. You interested? It comes with the gaskets and all.

If you just bolt these jugs and pistons in and leave the heads as they are, you will get better low end power but top end will suffer due to the smaller valves. Especially if you leave the 883 gearing. Buying this kit will be the cheapest 1200 conversion ever since I will sell it for what I paid.

Thanks for al the help guy's I really appreciate the input.

All Nightster you mentioned you had a kit that you would part with, how much did ya pay for it if ya don't mind the askin?

forgot to ask but I am pretty sure of the answer, Buell heads do they bolt right up or is there extra work involved?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for al the help guy's I really appreciate the input.

All Nightster you mentioned you had a kit that you would part with, how much did ya pay for it if ya don't mind the askin?

forgot to ask but I am pretty sure of the answer, Buell heads do they bolt right up or is there extra work involved?

$350 plus shipping which was like 15-20 bucks. My neighbor has a Buell and may be buying them as well but he likes to drag his knuckles on things. He wanted to get them powdercoating black and then put them on his bike. If you're interested, let me know as he has been saying he was thinking about buying them for about three months now and still hasn't done it.

Back