free website stats program Bonehead question on fixing exhaust leak... | Harley Davidson Forums

Bonehead question on fixing exhaust leak...

bcortani

Hi, I just installed a set of Rush slip-ons, install was tedious but easy as the old stock pipes were seated pretty good and tight. new ones went on with out a hitch. Question, I used the original clamps as they seemed in like new condition. I mounted the clamps over the slip on portion of the pipe flush with the end of the pipe. On my bottom pipe I am getting a small jet of blow back (leak) at the seam. Are new clamps in order to just be safe or should I try first to position the clamp a little ahead of the seam, towrds the header pipe...to get mor of an even cinch...I am wondering, even though by eyeballing it it looks the same, but maybe I have caught part of the slopeing part of the pipe?? And are the muffler clamps specialized or can they be purchased at any automotive store?:bigsmiley30:

Hi, I just installed a set of Rush slip-ons, install was tedious but easy as the old stock pipes were seated pretty good and tight. new ones went on with out a hitch. Question, I used the original clamps as they seemed in like new condition. I mounted the clamps over the slip on portion of the pipe flush with the end of the pipe. On my bottom pipe I am getting a small jet of blow back (leak) at the seam. Are new clamps in order to just be safe or should I try first to position the clamp a little ahead of the seam, towrds the header pipe...to get mor of an even cinch...I am wondering, even though by eyeballing it it looks the same, but maybe I have caught part of the slopeing part of the pipe?? And are the muffler clamps specialized or can they be purchased at any automotive store?:bigsmiley30:

Try new Torka clamps from the dealer you can add some http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_makers/auto_permatex_ultra_copper_maximum_temperature_rtv_silicone_gasket_maker.htm to the muffler to seal it

Got the clamps ordered and hopefully be here in a day or two. Am heading out the door to get the permatex. Thanks. Good news is they will come off easier this time around...lol, and I get the satisfaction of saying "I did my own exhaust...twice" :D. thanks Jack, as always you are a lifesaver.

Got the clamps ordered and hopefully be here in a day or two. Am heading out the door to get the permatex. Thanks. Good news is they will come off easier this time around...lol, and I get the satisfaction of saying "I did my own exhaust...twice" :D. thanks Jack, as always you are a lifesaver.

:s Always glad to help:s

Also, when you mount the new pipes, make sure to get them on past the pipe crimp slot & place clamp flush w/end (toward header) so it makes a nice tight seal. Torque to spec (38-43 ft/lb) and re-torque after 50-mile test run when bike has cooled.

thanks Iceman, nice thing about this year and model is the anchor bolts on the bottom of the pipes line up and there is no missing the crimp slot. Being that I am getting new torca clamps any day now, should I install dry (without permatex) and see if that eliminates the leak or just put on the gasket goo and not worry about it? I have to imagine tightening and loosening the new clamps over and over can't be good for them.

I'd still use the HT silicone on your header/pipe joint - run a nice bead all around inner pipe hole & push them on. Makes tight seal & easier to take-off later.

I always put some copper grease round the end of the header pipe prior to fitting the muffler this not only helps seal the area but also makes them easy to pull off next time i need to fit a set of stock mufflers to get through mot inspection so they are off at least once a year

Brian

:s Always glad to help:s

Ha-ha, so bcortani...you have become the resident "exhausted" expert...consider three times a charm! :p

Oh, more than three times now, it has been raining and the mail with my needed goodies won't be here until at least Monday, so I have been out in the garage putting them on for the Awww effect, then taking them off to avoid the impulse to ride it around a bit, then back on...Awww...and off...lol

Back