free website stats program Bluetooth Phone | Harley Davidson Forums

Bluetooth Phone

J

jimharvey1

OK guys...here's the question. I bought this 07 Ultra that the previous owner apparently bought new and parked in his garage and threw accessories on it. It has an add-on bluetooth module for the factory HK radio that works relatively well, communications wise and links to my cell phone. There are some apparent features that it has (voice activated phone book) that I cannot find anything in the manual about using or programming. Any idea where I might be able to get some literature on this little module? It's a neat feature that allows you to say things like "Dial Joe" and it dials the number you have saved as "Joe" and connects. I just need to know how to add names to the phonebook. Any help you can point me to would be appreciated.

Jim

I know that this is a silly question, but since the HK radio is aftermarket made FOR HD, likely that module was the same...any logos or other evidence of who the OEM is?...very likely dealer probably has the owner's manual or parts manual may have this info...

Actually...it's a HD accessory add on to the HD advanced audio system. I searched the HD website and came up with a link:
Harley-Davidson USA | Page Not Found
which if you tried it, you found what I found...Page Not Found.
I tried the Harmon-Kardon website but they list nothing.

is it a phone book on the HK system or does the blutooth just attach to the phone and you need the voice dial on your phone?

Apparently it does both. I can scroll through the phone book that I have on my phone with the display on the head unit. When I gave the voice command "read phonebook" it started spewing out names that apparently the prior owner had recordedand which were not in my phone. I gave the voice command "delete phonebook" and after asking me "Are you sure" it deleted the phonebook that he had recorded but still allowed me access to the phonebook I had in my phone.

It's a really nice feature if it works the way I think it does. I'd just like to have something a little more substantial than the limited operating instructions for the Harmon Kardon system (I also have the advanced output amp under the tourpack...the prior owner spared NOTHING on this bike) found in the owners manual.

Now would be a good time to identify the HD part number of the module and consider going to the HD dealer to talk to a KNOWLEDGABLE parts person. They will have a database of all the HD Service Notes, Tech Bulletins, Installation and Maintenance Documentation and use <CTRL F> to "Find" the info on the module you seek.

BE NICE, cordial and patient...observing how each parts person handles customer questions before you determine who the resident parts GURU is...YOU WILL KNOW, he is usually the guy who handles customers with dispatch and friendly attitude. He will locate it using keywords and PART NUMBER...and provide you a print out AT NO CHARGE, especially if he knows you will do business with him in the near future.

I know this is kind of a moot point...but think about it, knowledgable people are those who have been at it a long time and understand customer service. Especially on a harried Saturday morning so typical at the HD retailer/dealer.

The parts guy (Charley Brown) at my local HD shop (Adamec Harley Davidson of Orange Park) is probably the MOST customer friendly guy that I have EVER met. Come to find out, the bluetooth hands free module for the HK radio isn't offered any longer (guess that explains why I can't find it listed) but he's getting the owners manual for me from HD and it should be there in a few days. I guess by the number of people that responded on here that either: A. It never sold very well as an accessory, or, B. It was too expensive for what it does, or, C. Nobody talks on the phone while they are riding (actually a smart move), or D. All of the above. Oh well...I didn't put it in, but seeing it's there and apparently works, I sure would like to know all the tricks of operation. That HK radio is a pretty comprehensive unit.

I looked around and can't find much on the phone book feature at all. Since it is not available anymore I would go with not popular. HK has a pretty good reputation for quality stuff. Sounds like it is all driven via voice. I guess you are going to have to wait for the manual.

The parts guy (Charley Brown) at my local HD shop (Adamec Harley Davidson of Orange Park) is probably the MOST customer friendly guy that I have EVER met. Come to find out, the bluetooth hands free module for the HK radio isn't offered any longer (guess that explains why I can't find it listed) but he's getting the owners manual for me from HD and it should be there in a few days. I guess by the number of people that responded on here that either: A. It never sold very well as an accessory, or, B. It was too expensive for what it does, or, C. Nobody talks on the phone while they are riding (actually a smart move), or D. All of the above. Oh well...I didn't put it in, but seeing it's there and apparently works, I sure would like to know all the tricks of operation. That HK radio is a pretty comprehensive unit.

Well done Jim, and a very good observation...one other thing, I am an earthbound mortal who does not have a bagger (yet)...and BlueTooth is pretty new tech for most HD folks! Embracing technology is a good thing, as Smitty says, "--A rider can justify just 'bout anything..." just enjoy the ride and use what tools and experience work for you. :D

I don't believe your problem is with the HK set-up, your phonebook would be exclusive to your phone, the HK just carries the signal...

Nope...I think I figured it out by playing with it a little bit. You can record your more common calls names (e.g. "HOME, WORK, MARY, etc.") in a phone book in the HK unit where you can touch the "Prompt" softkey and then just say "SELECT NAME" "HOME" and "DIAL" and it will dial the number you have stored THROUGH BLUETOOTH using your cellphone. You can store quite a few voice dialed numbers. They are all stored through voice recognition where you speak the number, the radio reads it back to you, then asks if its correct and then stores it.

It also downloads the phonebook info you have on your cellphone and you can scroll through the entries and select and dial one that way too.

Only problem I have is actually hearing the other party over the bike. I stuffed some foam into the earcups of my helmet to get the speakers up against my ears which makes the stereo sound great at about half the volume I needed before but the phone audio is not very loud, even with it turned up all the way on both the phone and on the bike.

Back