free website stats program Blue Ridge pkway | Harley Davidson Forums

Blue Ridge pkway

Cajun Ultra

we will be leaving may 5 to ride the blue ridge pkway, from new orleans. riding from the south going north anyone have any info i might need to know, or places to see ,stay or whatever, this will most likely be my brothers last long ride he's 77 and has a 07 fatboy tks . mike

Spend LOTS of time perusing this site:

Blue Ridge Parkway - Home

It's especially helpful to know in advance of any sections being closed and planned detours.

Have enough gear for a variety of temperatures and weather conditions. In May it can still be very chilly in the morning and then you can have thunderstorms in the afternoon.

go on-line to the blueridge parkway association web site.request the book. it gives you all the info you'll need.it list all lodging,food and other info you want.it has the map with exits and whats available at each exit.

Google the Blue Ridge Pkwy on internet. Don't think its on this forum, but someone has put a list together of gas station exits, restaurants and places of interest. Should really help in the planning.

i have gone to the pkway site and ordered the map and info package. i just wanted to know if anyone had firsthand knowage and how it is

Cajun I was just up in that area last Oct rode the Blue Ridge and lots of other roads as well. I felt that the most central location was the Bryson City area. There is a biker motel on 28 on the way to Fontana Dam, It's called the Iron Horse Motorcycle Resort. I rented a cabin on Watia Rd just off of highway 28 for a week from Watershed Cabin Rental their office is in Bryson City. Check this site out for info on that area, I would highly suggest it. Have a great ride and stay safe.
North Carolina ride info

Little Switzerland Inn is a nice spot to base out of, or spend the night. From Little Switzerland, you can go to Grandfather Mountain, which is a pretty nice ride. They filmed part of Forrest Gump, where hanks was running up a mountain, on that mountain.

Be sure to go atop Mt. Mitchell. IIRC, it's the tallest spot this side of the Mississippi. There's a restaurant up there, altho I haven't tried it. From my old Wing forum days, there was a rider who requested his ashes be spread out atop that mountain, of which a few fellas did for him. So you may hear some spirits whispering at you. Last time I was there, there was fog rolling across that mountain top, which was pretty kewl.

Cajun, don't know if you have made a decision on where to stay while riding the Blue Ridge. If you do stay around Bryson City a couple of good restaurants;
Breakfast and lunch-The Station Restaurant
225 D Everett St. Bryson City, NC
A great meal for lunch or dinner-Guayabitos Mexican Restaurant
236 Hwy 19 South, Bryson City, NC 28713
And there's a great soda shop I think called Scoops.

Back