free website stats program Blinker Issues | Harley Davidson Forums

Blinker Issues

Jebby_Jeb

Ok, I believe it to be a bad ground, and after I explain what its doing, I will explain what all I have done.
I have 2006 FHLX-I Street Glide. Stock rear turn signals and brake light. Front turn signals are the HD lighted mirrors, part 92068-08A.

WHAT IT DOES - My right blinker comes on from time to time. When I say come on, I mean it will not blink, but just stay lit up. If I hit a bump or series of bumps, it will light up. Sometimes it stays on, sometimes it goes back off, and sometimes it comes on in varying degrees of brightness that goes in rhythm of the vibrations of the road. And then again, some days I can go all day and night with no issues what so ever. Now, sometimes when I turn my ignition on, the blinkers act like I have the security system (which I don't). They blink left to right and back. Also, when I use my blinkers, they blink around 5 times normal, then go into double speed.

WHAT I HAVE DONE - From searching the web, and from local mechanics, I have come to believe this to be a ground issue and that there is a ground some where that is acting up and that its trying to ground back through the TSM. At one point when trying to figure this out, I noticed if I slapped the rear fender, the problem would start/stop, this was with bike sitting in my drive way. So I went into the rear light. I changed the circuit board as well as both blinker assemblies and installed an LED tail light. I then sprayed the connector that comes from under the seat with electrical cleaner, plugged and unplugged the connector several times, put dielectric grease, and then cleaned and greased the connector under the seat that goes to the back. Problem went away for a couple days. Then returned, but now, its when it lights up, its more varying brightness with vibrations than just being 100% lit.

INFO I LEARNED - I do have the service manual. I went through the wiring diagrams (nearly went cross-eyed). Seems like I have 4 grounds on this bike. One in fairing, two under seat (dirty and clean), and one on the starter. The blinkers themselves use the dirty ground, and the TSM and blinker indicators use the clean ground. Both ground nuts were removed, cleaned, greased, and re-installed.

I hope I explained in enough detail for you guys. Thanks heaps!!

The wiring from under the seat runs under the rear fender to the rear lights and is exposed to the elements and damage from debris and the rear wheel
If it were my bike i would take the rear fender off and thoroghly inspect the wires

Brian

+1 on Brian's suggestion, Issues similar to yours have come up in the past and it usually turned out to be the wires under the rear fender.

If your "mirror signals" are LED's without a equalizer, that could be the problem. LED's draw less current and confuses the TSM. Also LED's are polarity sensitive.

The wiring from under the seat runs under the rear fender to the rear lights and is exposed to the elements and damage from debris and the rear wheel
If it were my bike i would take the rear fender off and thoroghly inspect the wires
Brian
Brain, yea, I guess its time to find a friend with a lift...I may remove the rear tire instead of the fender, though.

If your "mirror signals" are LED's without a equalizer, that could be the problem. LED's draw less current and confuses the TSM. Also LED's are polarity sensitive.
Breeze, they have a circuit board on them at acts like an equalizer, and have worked fine for 4 years.

Once on the lift or a flat jack you can remove the 2 lower shock bolts. Just put enough pressure on the jack to relieve the tension on shock bolts. Once they are out jack it up high enough to see the wiring and repair if necessary. It's a lot easier than removing the rear wheel. Remember your wiring also goes forward from under the seat.
tourbox

WOW, that wiring harness from the seat to rear fender (part 68772-06) is only $50...if I see damage, instead of repairing it, I think I will just replace with new.

I have had the rear fender off of the bike many times in the past so i find it a straigh forward task to do perhaps almost as simple as removing the rear wheel
But i do have a suitable lift and all the tools i need and the same bike for many years

Brian

Back