free website stats program bleeding tappets | Harley Davidson Forums

bleeding tappets

98fat

Question, been reading my 98 softail service manual, pondering replacing my rocker box gaskets (three piece box). I have never done this before, most of it makes sense. It warns not to rotate the engine until I am sure the tappets have bled down (after replacing the bottom gasket).

I assume if I rotate the engine until both valves are closed replace all gaskets and then torque each bolt down slowly (on the bottom box, with the rockers) and wait a few minutes on each bolt rotation, this will accomplish this. Is there something else? Bleed I assumes means getting the oil out of each tappet?

Hope this question made sense.:D

Bleed is referring to pressure in the tappet, the manual should go into it pretty complete.
when you unbolt the lower box, the push rods should be at there lowest point on that cylinder, both vales closed. then rotate engine till the other cylinder has rods at their lowest point and unbolt that lower box. going back together make sure rods for that cylinder are at their lowest point then install lower rocker box and torque, wait untill you can spin both push rods for that cylinder before rotating engine to do the other cylinder. it usually takes 10 min or so for the pressure to bleed off in the tappets so you can spin the push rod tubes with your fingers. you can bend a push rod if you do not let the tappet bleed off before rotation of the engine.

I was hoping to do this without opening up the pushrod covers. Clearly I need to do this to make sure the tappets are bled down and the pushrods will spin. Correct?

It is possible to get thumb and forefinger round the top of the pushrod when the lower cover is fitted so no need to open the pushrod tubes
if im doing mine once the lower cover is on time to go in the house have a coffee and then all bled down on return

Brian

Back