free website stats program Black smoke | Harley Davidson Forums

Black smoke

Rickie1127

hello all I am new to the site and was hoping to get some help on some problems that I am having with my 06 Deluxe. First of all she will not shift into N while running and I got stuck in heavy traffic she stalled but then started back up but now she blows black smoke doesn't seem to be a carbon issue hubby tried that already...what can this be? engine issue?

hello all I am new to the site and was hoping to get some help on some problems that I am having with my 06 Deluxe. First of all she will not shift into N while running and I got stuck in heavy traffic she stalled but then started back up but now she blows black smoke doesn't seem to be a carbon issue hubby tried that already...what can this be? engine issue?

Welcome to The Forum http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/t-738.html See this for your clutch adjustment, The black smoke could be too much fuel, More info would help is this stock or do you have a fueler? TFI unit http://www.hdtimeline.com/archive/t-964.html look here for trouble codes

I agree to first check the sparkplugs and plug wires. Make sure the wires are seated in the coil and on the plug. Are you running Harley plugs?

There is some missing information. Is it Injected or carburated? I assume injected since it is an 06. Black smoke is a condition of not burning all the fuel going into the cylinder. This means too much fuel going in or not enough fire to properly ignite it. Start with new plugs, too much fuel could foul them. If it eliminates the problem and shows up again after a while your getting too much fuel. Secondly, running the choke too long during startup can foul the plugs as well. I would suggest diagnostics to really fix the problem.

As for the neutral issue, I had the same problem on my 05 Glide running HD Syn3. I could not find neutral no matter what, cold,hot ,running or not. I switched to Amsoil 75-110 in the tranny and 20-50 in the primary, now I find neutral every time. No clunking and shifts like butter.

Back