free website stats program Black smoke on decelleration | Harley Davidson Forums

Black smoke on decelleration

Kenr427

Account Removed
I have an 02 FLHTCI with 22000 miles. I get black smoke when I rev it up and let off the gas...I'm not talking about overly revving the engine, I mean around 3000 rpms or so. I always thought that black smoke means its running rich...it is a stock bike. Also used about 2 1/2 qts of oil on a 2000 mile trip. I also notice that my oil seems to get real dirty after about 500 miles...I bought it with 16000 miles on it, and have changed the oil every 3000 miles or sooner because I was trying to clean out the crank if it was that dirty. I ready to burn the thing up!

2 1/2 qts of oil on a 2000 mile trip is a lot of oil. I would do a compression test and a leak down test to see what kind of shape the cylinders and rings are in.

For sure a leak down test an compression test are the ends of the pipes/mufflers oily like its burning it

Oil burns blue raw fuel is black but if its overly rich and it could be burning both as fuel loads up in the crankcase

How does it run in general ?

bike runs fine, compression test showed 130 at each cylinder, black sooty deposits at the pipes, not oily

black sooty is rich then if its real heavy ... leaking oil somewhere? if its burning it ..it should show on the pipes

I have an 02 FLHTCI with 22000 miles. I get black smoke when I rev it up and let off the gas...I'm not talking about overly revving the engine, I mean around 3000 rpms or so. I always thought that black smoke means its running rich...it is a stock bike. Also used about 2 1/2 qts of oil on a 2000 mile trip. I also notice that my oil seems to get real dirty after about 500 miles...I bought it with 16000 miles on it, and have changed the oil every 3000 miles or sooner because I was trying to clean out the crank if it was that dirty. I ready to burn the thing up!

Your compression is down quite a bit....it should be 150 or better in both cylinders.
Your injectors could be dirty and leaking giving you the over rich condition

Alternative solution: Don't ever decelerate! (Sorry, couldn't resist the slow ball over the middle setup for that one!)

Back