free website stats program Black Engine | Harley Davidson Forums

Black Engine

hd4evr

Banned
I have a 2007 SuperGlide. I have the chrome engine package done to it, and while I really like it, I've seen the 2010 SG Custom with the black engine, and I was wondering if there's any way to get my silver engine painted black? Anyone ever done it? Pics?

Hd4evr, can't answer the question, as I am no paint guy, but the silver color on your engine is indeed paint, so likely is paintable to black. Whatyardwork or Steve07 might give you some recommendations. But the key to any paint job is surface cleaning and preparation...the paint selection and color is secondary...

I saw a bike on another forum, where the guy took everything off that he could, masked off the rest, got some hight temp spray paint, for BBq's or something and sprayed the engine. Looked real good afterwards. Says he's been riding with it a couple of months and it still looks great. Others said they've done the same and been riding for a lot of miles with no problems. His cylinders were gray to start with.

Theres no cheep way to do what youre looking for.As others mentioned removing the motor would be required.To me, blasting and powder coating is the only way to go.

They have come along way with heat resistant paints.But you'd only be putting that paint on top of a bad factory powdercoat job.No way Id paint a motor/tranny on an 07.The cost to do it right would justify a big bore kit.Id much rather have a realy fast silver one than a slow black one for the same money.

Sounds like the "winter project" list has begun. Might be a good way to learn the bike & get the look you want. Just get the HD service manual for your bike, read through the parts you want to black-out (removal & install) and make sure you have the correct tools. From there...it's your imagination...;)

I have used the high temp engine paint on smaller motorcycle engines and parts, but it does not seem to hold up very well over about a year's time. I am meticulous about surface preperation, so I have to think the paint is just not the way to go for a bike you plan to keep a long time, or sell with a possible ugly painted engine.

I have used the high temp engine paint on smaller motorcycle engines and parts, but it does not seem to hold up very well over about a year's time. I am meticulous about surface preperation, so I have to think the paint is just not the way to go for a bike you plan to keep a long time, or sell with a possible ugly painted engine.

Ditto.
The paint will not last and you'll end up with an ugly mess.

Back