free website stats program Black Denim Paint Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Black Denim Paint Question

worrdogg

Thought of getting a Night Train in Black Denim but heard that the Black Denim paint will stain easily with oils from your hands. Is this true? Also being that it does not have a clear coat that it will scratch very easily and almost impossible to cover up with touch up paint even if you get a hold of some Black Denim paint? Did the salesperson just tell me that because they only had a Night Train in Vivid Black in stock?

Hi Worrdogg
I have a black denim Fat Bob and yes is does mark quite easy, but it can be wiped down with a damp chamois leather. when I got mine, the salesman told me that the paint would fade like (as he said) "an old pair of demin jeans"
one of my mates has had a black denim night train for a long time and the paint looks better with age. I think if you want a shiny bike then maybe the denim isn't a good choice, but for that mean and moody look, go for the denim.

The sale person told me to wash the denim paint with water only, do not wax it, and if needed clean it with windex (window cleaning solution)....

I think that the Denim finish is a must for a Night Train, as for any other bike part of the "Dark Custom" group.
I ride a Street Bob black denim and, because of the riding position (Ape hanger), scratching the tank with clothes is practically impossible.
Truly, if you should scratch the paint, there's little to do: you cannot polish it! :(
Another point I was very doubtful about was how to clean it!
HD instructions say to use a dish washer soap for heavy dirt and an ammonia based product for light dirt.
I tried the latter, but for some days after the application the heat generated by the engine produced a smell of urine from the tank that was very disgusting! :(
So next time I used the normal HD shampoo and everything seems normal... and clean now. :)

Ciao
Ugo

Oh, yes.... the sales person also said that I can use HD shampoo. The ammonia-based product (windex is a good example), if used, I think it's best to dilute it with water first. That is if the bike is not very dirty.

Back