free website stats program Bits of magnets in my tranny... | Harley Davidson Forums

Bits of magnets in my tranny...

bett

Hi Everyone,

First post after lurking here for some time. I've found a great amount of useful
info., but I'd like to throw this out:

I started having charging issues with my 96' 1200. All my poking about pointed to a grounded stator. So yesterday I pulled off the primary cover, and dug in.
When I got the rotor off I found one of the magnets was stuck to the stator.
Then I saw that all the magnets were "floating". In other words they were no longer attached to the rotor, but only held there by there own magnetism, and I was able to pull them off pretty easily with a screwdriver.

So now there are all these little chips of ground-up magnet drifting around in there. I'll take care to get all I can out, but I'm not really looking forward to pulling the tranny to clean that. Both drive, and clutch sprockets look great for a 50k. bike. Chain looks good too. I was really quite surprised actually given the mileage how good it looks in there.

So heres the question. I'm thinking I'll toss it back together with a new rotor, and stator after cleaning out all I can. I know there will be some small bits floating around in there as I can't reach back into the tranny. but the magnets are soft, and the sprockets and tranny gears are hardened. I'll change the oil every couple weeks till it starts to come out clean and call it good.

Any thoughts from you with more experience than me?

Thanks. It's cool to have a place to bring a problem like this.

Roger

Welcome Bett, to HDTimeline...you will find many self help and rider tips, as well as search tab at the top to help you find your way around. There is a method for "purging all the oil out" of your chaincase/tranny. Basically the complete oil change, uses an oil filter adapter, (rather than the accessing a hose on some softails), connecting a clear drain hose and catch bucket. After cleaning everything up, put gear oil (maybe even Marvel Mystery Oil) and do the deed.

See the attached for Softtail, but the idea is the same...

http://www.hdtimeline.com/oil_related_tips/767-complete_oil_change_softail.html

Last edited:
Hey 74,

Thanks for the tip. Looks easy enough to do on an engine with an oil bag,
but the chain/tranny seems to be pretty much sealed up. I don't see a way to cycle oil through I guess is what I'm trying to say.

Is there a pump in there I'm not seeing? Looks to me the only way to get oil out is through the drain plug, and the only way to put in fresh is through the chain adjusting cover, or through the clutch inspection (derby) cover. Am I missing something?

Thanks for taking an interest.

Oops my bad, I was looking at the wrong post...GS34 in post attached did the drain in #28 on his son in laws tranny when the HD dealer forgot to put lube back in after service. He filled the tranny with 15-40 CAT (Diesel Oil) Chevron Delo would probably be fine as you will be discarding it anyway...ran it around a bit, drained and refilled again with proper 85W Gear Oil (I use Spectrol) and you should be good to go! Sorry.

http://www.hdtimeline.com/softail_models/16896-ive_got_a_mess.html

Last edited:
Quite OK.

So, some light oil for a short ride to kind of flush things out,
then back to my original plan? Hmmmm.

I don't see why not, for a short blast. Thanks again, sir.

Roger

Back