free website stats program Billet reuseable oil filter | Harley Davidson Forums

Billet reuseable oil filter

Beer Hound

Has anyone used a reuseable oil filter like this and is it worth me putting it on. It was free from a Buddy of mine. The bike is a 93 Heritage softail classic and it will fit. Also what would I clean the filter with? Thanks!

Attachments

• 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 30
Has anyone used a reuseable oil filter like this and is it worth me putting it on. It was free from a Buddy of mine. The bike is a 93 Heritage softail classic and it will fit. Also what would I clean the filter with? Thanks!

Wonder what micron it is rated at, as for cleaning, may use brake clean followed by hot water and air dry, Capital Jack

I am a strong believer in using disposable oil filters that you can through away when their useful (not usable) life is over. But at lease you are not considering using this one on a TC. As long as the filter you are considering using will filter down to the micron rating required of your engine and will handle the flow required, go ahead.

TQ

It is a long time since i last saw a reuseable oil filter in a petrol engine i have got used to the disposable type and i dont think i would be tempted it makes enough mess just removing the throw away ones but as i remember its a real pest to fully clean a reuseable oil filter
as i remember had to wash them through with kerosene or petrol to get the element clean then left to air dry

Brian

It is a long time since i last saw a reuseable oil filter in a petrol engine i have got used to the disposable type and i dont think i would be tempted it makes enough mess just removing the throw away ones but as i remember its a real pest to fully clean a reuseable oil filter
as i remember had to wash them through with kerosene or petrol to get the element clean then left to air dry

Brian

Indeed, and now the car manufactures are using cartridge filters what a mess, they say they are more user friendly LOL

I am a strong believer in using disposable oil filters that you can through away when their useful (not usable) life is over. But at lease you are not considering using this one on a TC. As long as the filter you are considering using will filter down to the micron rating required of your engine and will handle the flow required, go ahead.

TQ

I was thinking the same thing, toss the little particles instead of running them back through but I wasn't sure. I think I'll polish it up and hang it on the wall till somebody needs it. Thanks guys!

I would think with the expense of engine damage that could occur if something went wrong, using the H.D. factory oil filter is the only way to go. Especially if put back together improperly and there was a loss of oil pressure or piece of dirt clogged a passage.

Back