free website stats program Bike wont start | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike wont start

Hi, could use a little advice. 2004 heritage stretched the bike and the wires. Engine turns over but wont start,noticed that the speedo wasnt working and found that a black and brown wire were crossed,fixed the problem now speedo works. I have power everywhere except from coil to spark plugs. I tried the ECM password learn twice with no luck. Could I have fried the ecm when I crossed the two wires? when I tried the password learn the directionals blinked several times. Sorry for long post just getting frustrated. Thanks for any help:dknow

Have you checked fuses to see if any have failed. Also have you rechecked all connections changed, in regards of mod against a electrical wiring diagram???

fuses are all good i have power to lights directionals power to the coil but no spark I will try the codes and see what i get. i will let you know

Could possibly be your crankshaft position senser. Is your bike fuel injected. If so, check the codes.

The bike is injected I took the gas tank off to inspect the wires everything is fine when I tried the password learn still no spark. I have power to the coil when I tried the password learn the directionals blinked several times after the on off sequence of the ignition the engine light came on for a few seconds and then went off. the low fuel light stayed on because I have the gas tank off. Is it possible for the ecm to relearn the password if the gas tank is off the bike?

I stretched all of the wires for the speedo and the fuel guage and the headlight I have power to everything that was stretched. I also unplugged the ignition to re route the wires and then plugged the wires back in,like I said the bike turns over fuses are good power to everything except no spark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Locate fuse labeled "Fuel Pump". Make sure it's good. With the fuse installed, set up your VOM so you can monitor the voltage at the test hole located right on the fuse or wedge a small piece of wire in the fuse holder.

Place the bars Run/Kill switch in the Kill position.
Turn ignition key to the ignition position. Now while watching the VOM, flip the run/kill switch to the RUN position. The VOM should read 12 volts for appox 4 seconds. After 4 seconds, the meter should read near zero volts. Now crank the engine. While cranking, the VOM should read 12 volts once again.

Does this happen when you try it on your bike.
Is the bike factory stock as far as the fuel and ignition system. Any electrical mods to the bike.

Back