free website stats program Bike won't start. | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike won't start.

Vince Gioia

I'm working on a 2003 Road King 103. This bike died suddenly. I put a new HD battery and plugs in it. It cranks great but won't start. I sprayed starter fluid in the throttle body and it started only on the starting fluid and then died. I hear the fuel pump prime when i turn on the ignition.

pull the plugs out & dry them with a propane torch. after they cool. put some anti-sieze on them & re-install them.
now see if you can start the bike. if not pull the plugs & see if they are wet w/fuel.
manual says. fuel tank empty,fouled plugs,discharged battery,
bank angle sensor tripped& ign. syitch not cycled,colged fuel filter.

I'm working on a 2003 Road King 103. This bike died suddenly. I put a new HD battery and plugs in it. It cranks great but won't start. I sprayed starter fluid in the throttle body and it started only on the starting fluid and then died. I hear the fuel pump prime when i turn on the ignition.

Starting fliud can wipe out the rings, I would be cautious about using it.

If it started on starter fluid then died that means your not getting fuel into the cylinder nothing wrong with plugs you just proved that. you say you hear pump prime,do you hear any splashing noise in tank? It is poss that the fuel hose or regulator is broken. You have to verify fuel is getting to injectors at correct pressure they wont work if fuel pressure is to low.

Need more detail(s) to make better assessment...when did bike die (before/after plugs & battery), has bike been sitting for long duration, any other mods (i.e. air/tuner)? Seems like you're not getting fuel (even w/pump priming) and you do have the on/off switch in correct position?

Back