free website stats program bike runs for 2 minutes then stops | Harley Davidson Forums

bike runs for 2 minutes then stops

tramp

Hello, I have a 1993 flstn she starts fine but after a few minutes stops. If I try cranking she will not re-start until I turn off the ignition switch and then turn it back on and then she will run for a few minutes and stop again.Hope someone out there can help:(

Do you still have power to lights etc. after it stops?

With the ignition on check with volt meter or test light at the coil for power, bet you have a break in the wire from the cam cover to the coil or a bad ignition switch

Are you getting fuel? Slow fuel flow could do this. A bad cam position sensor will also.

More info for the symptoms will help us help you.

Once the bike starts loosen the gas cap. It might not be venting properly.

Getting fuel, lights are fine. When bike stops if I do not turn ignition switch off there is no spark, once I turn ignition off and then back on everything is fine for about 2 minutes. Lights do not dim they stay bright when bike stops.

Check the wiring coming out of the nose cone to the coil, is the wiring intact no signs of over heating, some times the pick up in the cone gets over heated and can cause a problem like this, you can also try removing the cover and get more air in there to verify this

Back