free website stats program bike prices are wierd | Harley Davidson Forums

bike prices are wierd

cossak

son is "bike napping" my improved 103CI, 204 cam, Race tunner, stage 1, Fatcat 2into1, 2007 Fatboy!

=================================

Getting ready to buy a new or low milage 2010 bike. I have been checking dealers and Craigs list.

1) why are used 2010 bikes priced above the same model new 2011?
...........2010 Fatboy "stock" with 5700 miles $16,500
...........2011 Fatboy with 4 miles $15,999

Also how far below MSRP will some dealers go for a new Softail Convertable?

I read the buyer tips on HD web page,but looking for what is the best deal for a CVO Convertable or a Fatboy.

All suggestions appreciated/

Used bikes are priced according to what the seller feels it's worth based on the additions they have added. I found that most additions do not effect the selling price unless the buyer likes and agrees with the additions.

On CL, you'll find that the prices are "asking" prices and rarely sell at the advertised price. Most dealers that do a good business will negotiate on price or throw in some extras as well as 10-20% off on parts for the first year. Always negotiate the selling price first and then go for the extras. Possibly an extended warranty too.

The dealers don't seem to deal as much on new as they will used. And how much any of them deal on new or used depends on their inventory and overhead and how well bikes are moving.

I got a much better deal on a used bike at a LARGE dealer in another town than I could find locally. When I say LARGE it had about 60 new bikes on the floor and about 300 used bikes on the lot.

I hope this helps you.

I knew in advance approximately when I was going to buy a bike within a month or so.
I did as much research on MSRP as I could then, I emailed 4 local dealers and 1 dealer 8 hours away asking for what was available and pricing. I asked the dealers to include the options I wanted.
3 dealers responded, including the distant one. The distant dealer was very upfront with me and said I could probably make a better deal locally, but, would be willing to help me find where the bike I wanted was located. I corresponded with him for a while on the bike and other topics, wish I could have bought from him, he was the most helpful and gave me some very useful tips.

Of the 2 local dealers, 1 gave me a real quote, Out The Door, with the options I asked for.

I went first to the dealer who did not give me a hard number by email. They are a few miles closer. I had the email quote in my pocket and my checkbook visible. The salesperson still would not give me a firm price without a commitment, ( I was there, what else do you want?). They also did not believe the other dealer couldn't possibly honor the price in the email. After 20 minutes at local #1 I was 15 minutes late for the door.

Dealer #2 was the next stop. I showed the email, with the OTD price. The salesperson confirmed the price with the sales manager and 45 minutes or so later I scribbled out a check for the deposit.

Finally we get to my point. I did not want to play the game. I eliminated dealers who did not respond to my emails. I also eliminated the dealer who insisted on "gaming the sale" when I got there. I think I paid a fair price and I'm happy with the bike sitting out front.

Cheers!

Thanks Ferrous,

Like you I have noticed a spectrum of attitude across several dealers; for the rude ones, I don't know if it is just the salesmen or an attitude of the dealership. I have gotten some email prices which after a phone call are totaled to out the door prices. Only a few refused to give a total without a personal visit, I guess they are still waiting to see me.

One local salesman/dealer has the 2011 bike I really want and is giving me a good "left hand people only" discount (LOL); and adding options and clothing goodies to boot. In a few days we will both be happy, he gets a check, I get the bike I want, WHEEEE!

Well just goes to show dealers are like people, they come in all types and patterns. I'm trying to figure why the distant dealer projected not being able to match a local deal. Unless he knew the variables of the local dealer and was comparing them to his then I can't see why he would say that.

Good luck buying your bike cossak.

Well just goes to show dealers are like people, they come in all types and patterns. I'm trying to figure why the distant dealer projected not being able to match a local deal. Unless he knew the variables of the local dealer and was comparing them to his then I can't see why he would say that.

It may have been the location of the bike. There was only one left in California in the color/model I wanted. It was several hours closer to me than to him. It may have cost him more to have it brought down to him, making his profit even less.

cossak,
Maybe I coulda saved more if I had know about the Lefty discount. I understand and agree with "WHEEEE"!
Expecting pictures soon!

Cheers!

OK here is my new love, What a machine!! Runs soooo smooth, looks hot and has all the power to go with the looks.

Attachments

• HARRRRLY.jpg
    HARRRRLY.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 37
Back