free website stats program Bike has not started in a year. | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike has not started in a year.

jjjammer

May I give some history on the bike. It is a 2005 Duce with 10000 miles. I was having trouble with acceleration. It would hesitate when the weather got cold. So I replaced the intakes, replaced the fuel and disassembled and cleaned the carburetor. Now it won't start and just backfires out the carburetor and tail pipe. Can anyone help tell me where to go next? Thanks Jeff

May I give some history on the bike. It is a 2005 Duce with 10000 miles. I was having trouble with acceleration. It would hesitate when the weather got cold. So I replaced the intakes, replaced the fuel and disassembled and cleaned the carburetor. Now it won't start and just backfires out the carburetor and tail pipe. Can anyone help tell me where to go next? Thanks Jeff

Intake not sealed correctly???
Carb float not positioned correctly???

Did you re attach the vacuum line to the carb from the gas tank valve..
Plug wires on correctly??? Wires could be shorting to the frame.
Did you put the carb FULLY into the rubber seal on the intake manifold???

SURE you did nothing Else???

With air cover off, Can you twist the wick and see Gas shooting toward the center of the intake ???

Might even be a valve or two...stuck

REMEMBER you are ASKING Here.....

signed.... BUBBIE

Backfiring is often caused by a weak mixture so either not enough fuel or too much air
I think bubbbie has covered most of the possible causes of either state
too much air from an intake leak not enough fuel from a wrong float height blocked jet or poor supply from tank

Brian

You mentioned overhauling the carb. Not to sound insulting but, are you pretty competent as a mechanic and have you ever rebuilt a carb before?

Thanks Guys, especially Bubbie. I have rebuilt many of a carburetor mostly on cars, never of a bike. Although the CV carburetor seemed very simple. But there is always a chance I missed something. I am going to go double check my work. There is plenty of gas coming out of the wick. Dose that mean the float is okay? Jeff

Not really...
The squirt comes off-up the bottom of the float bowl...

Might you have Pinched the Diaphragm IF that was apart ? They are a Bugger to get back into place with out Pinching... I try to never take it apart UNLESS....:(

Double check the float and the Manifold gaskets. (New ones I hope)

I have had a problem once when I didn't have the carb FULLY into the rubber to manifold. Sounded really bad like yours but ran...

I use 5/8 length allen headed carb screws instead of the phillips, saves time and I can take off the float-bowl much easier while on the bike.

signed....BUBBIE

Maybe A Mod can change this from "Member Intro" so this New-Bee can get some post count....:newsmile07:

Just thinking he can use them...

Besides He thanked ALL and me Nicely... I don't see that much.:D

signed....BUBBIE

I moved thread to engine fuel and exhaust so it may generate more interest

Brian

Hi guys finally got around to working on the bike again. Put new intakes in again and made extra care the carb was square on the intake. Rebuilt the carburetor jets, new float and set it correctly. All new gaskets and new needle valve turned one and three quarters time. Getting plenty of gas! Pretty sure there are not air leaks. Bike keep banging out the rear and carburetor won't start. I have not codes and its like the timing is off. How about a cam tensioner failure? Is this a posibility? Thanks Jeff

Back