free website stats program Bike fell over lost fluid | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike fell over lost fluid

BibRider

04 FXST injected fell over last nite in garage. Jiffy side down. wife was trying to move it out of garage so she could go for a ride. It was a controlled descent so nothing scratched or broken on either wife or bike. I got home to stand the bike back up and there was quite the pool of oil puddled on the floor. The oil/lube was clean as it would of looked out of a bottle. Smelled like gear oil, but is the tranny a sealed system or is there a breather port that would of caused the lube to escape? Figure motor oil would be darker as would primary from clutch wear. Anything else I should check out for a bike being laid over for about an hour?

On my 2009 FXDL, there is a tranny breather tube.

It can't be primary. I would just check fluid level in engine and tranny to see which one is low.
My guess would be tranny.:p

On my 2009 FXDL, there is a tranny breather tube.

It can't be primary. I would just check fluid level in engine and tranny to see which one is low.
My guess would be tranny.:p

I go with Hoop on this, The tranny top has a straight air flow bend over short rubber tube keeping water out.. This Tube also allows a over full condition to correct its self and expel from the tranny....

Sounds like only a few OZ. were in a puddle. So careful and don't over fill... If by accident it gets a "little" over I have found that it will "vent out the tube" while riding the bike and you May Smell tranny oil vapors....

signed....BUBBIE

Tranny fluid was what I was leaning towards. By smell and color of fluid. Didn't know about breather tube, makes sense though. Thanks Bubbie. I'll check em and see if I get any weird codes after I try out a test run.

I'll go with the trans oil too being it was jiffy stand side down. That would put the vent tube on the down side of the trans. so leak would be a sure bet.

If I was you I would also place the bike in your tallest gear (5 or 6) and push the bike forward just to make SURE that engine oil has not gone past the rings and into the combustion chamber. If there was any oil sitting there, it would hydro lock the engine and the damage would be monumental if you tried to start it..
I HAVE seen it happen so don't laugh.
Just my 2 cents.

I must of gotten lucky Hoop. Just sat down and read your post after taking it for a test run. Tranny fluid was the culprit. Drained it all and refilled with fresh gear lube. Washed bike down especially tires so any oil would be gone. Also found relief hose that Bubbie mentioned. Hose is prolly 3-4 inches long on the drive side, doubles back on it itself and relieves over drive belt sprocket. No codes thrown or adverse reactions that I found on the test ride.

Back