free website stats program Bike drags at 1st starting of engine | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike drags at 1st starting of engine

Got a good one for you. My bike has lately started hesitating at starting. It did this once before and I put a new bat. in it as the old was 5 yrs old. That fixed it. This bat. I bought from HD last Oct. 2009. I took it back they say they check it over night and it is good. I check the volts coming out of the bike at idle a little over 12v, when reving it up it showed over 14v. I ride it ever day aprox. 8mi. one way to work and then 8mi home. Now that they charged it it is canking find. What do you think the problem might be. It is a 2005 RK.

My bike has lately started hesitating at starting.

Need more detail on what that means. You hit the start button and there is a delay before you hear the pinion engage with the ring gear... You hear the pinion engage with the ring gear but there is a delay before the engine starts to turn or crank.... The engine starts to turn/crank but there is a delay before it actually starts?

Need more detail on what that means. You hit the start button and there is a delay before you hear the pinion engage with the ring gear... You hear the pinion engage with the ring gear but there is a delay before the engine starts to turn or crank.... The engine starts to turn/crank but there is a delay before it actually starts?

It engages and there is a delay in starting. To me thats the same as the engine starts to turn/crank and there is a delay in finishing the turn over.

I check the volts coming out of the bike at idle a little over 12v,

Charley, would you happen to know if your charging system is 3 phase or single phase. If it is 3 Phase, that voltage of 12 at idle is a problem either with your meter or charging system.

Off the top, you need to read voltage to at Least 1/10 of a volt. There is a big difference between 12 volts and 12.45 volts. Don't use the volt meter off the dash if you have one. Use a quality DVM that has several ranges for better accuracy. Using the 0-20 volt range will give you a reading to 1/100 volt (12.XX) & that is what you are looking for.

Check to see if you have 2 or 3 wires coming from your stator. 2 wires is single phase.
Get some accurate voltage readings directly at the battery using a good quality meter. An Idle reading,,,a reading at 2,000 RPM,, and a 3,000 RPM reading. From that point you will know where you stand.

One thing that comes to mind it you could have had a poor connection before removing the battery and having them charge it and now that you replaced it again, it may have a better connection.

When you say it hesitated is where we are having a problem understanding here.

Did it crank normally but not fire up or did it start to crank and then hesitated cranking then restart cranking and start then?

A good explanation is important in determining a fix.

One thing that comes to mind it you could have had a poor connection before removing the battery and having them charge it and now that you replaced it again, it may have a better connection.

When you say it hesitated is where we are having a problem understanding here.

Did it crank normally but not fire up or did it start to crank and then hesitated cranking then restart cranking and start then?

A good explanation is important in determining a fix.

it started to crank, starter hesitated, then it cranked the bike almost like a starter drag.

Back