free website stats program Bike blowing oil | Harley Davidson Forums

Bike blowing oil

GimmeFuel

For a little while, I've occasionally noticed a very small amount of oil leaking out of the top of both rocker boxes. It's not even a weekly thing. Just once in a while. What do you guys think is going on? How alarmed/concerned should I be? Help needed.

For a little while, I've occasionally noticed a very small amount of oil leaking out of the top of both rocker boxes. It's not even a weekly thing. Just once in a while. What do you guys think is going on? How alarmed/concerned should I be? Help needed.

??????? how many miles- highway / hard , any work done on it lately , one question -(gotta ask , dont like to, but,) has it been laid down/over????

??????? how many miles- highway / hard , any work done on it lately , one question -(gotta ask , dont like to, but,) has it been laid down/over????

About 24500. I've only had it since 18000. A good percentage of the miles I've put on it are interstate. Typically 30 minute trips but some are shorter about 20% of the time. I usually cruise in between 80 and 85 mph. I've been known to get on it before but not very often and not too hard. I always let it warm up fully and try to take it easy on it for the first five or so miles.

Only work done recently was changing the oil. I laid it down once but it was at a near dead stop and went down easy and with crash bars.

Any thoughts?

my softail had a fine mist of oil right where the two covers fit together, I re torqued the rear bolts on the cover and have had no more oil.

Only a guess but I would think that he used factory torque specs. Do you have a service manual? The specs are there. I don't have one for your model year, but maybe a kind soul could post the proper torque specs for the rocker boxes on your scoot.

Only a guess but I would think that he used factory torque specs. Do you have a service manual? The specs are there. I don't have one for your model year, but maybe a kind soul could post the proper torque specs for the rocker boxes on your scoot.

Are the bolts on the top of the rocker box the rocker housing bolts or the rocker cover bolts?

While re torquing rocker bolts may slow it down some I would pull the covers and check them for war page. If you don't already have a factory manual get one, the rockers should be un bolted in a reverse torque:s

Back