free website stats program Best Year Model for Ultra? | Harley Davidson Forums

Best Year Model for Ultra?

Hey folks, I'm sure someone has already asked this but here it goes. Getting read to buy myself a Harley Ultra, but not sure which year would be the best. I am wanting the full dresser. Looking for more comfort, I have had a few Heritage Softails before.
Any advice, tips etc. would be much appreciated.

If you don't ride, you don't know...
Ghostrider

Difficult question. BEST would probably be a 2018. BEST value for the $$ would have ME looking at a 2014-2016 Rushmore model. Very Good would be 2009-2014 with the better frame and engine updates. This is the Sellers time of year all across the country.

I am partial to the 2009-2013. Like the old school dash and have the 103ci engine. Think they are a great bang for the buck. You can find a nice low mileage bike for a good price low to mid teens $$.

Thanks for the info guys...So for sure it needs to be 2009 or better, right? I guess 09 and up is when they upgraded a lot? Also, how many is too many miles? I found an 2013 Ultra with 52k for $10k.

Last edited:
The twin cam is a good engine from what I hear. My 96ci FLHTCU is a 2009 . My compensator in the primary went bad at around 25k miles. Other than that it's been a good bike. I have over 50k miles on it now and the compression is good. I'm iching to get a big bore kit installed. I think if you stay with a 2009 or higher you'll do fine. I imagine that a 96ci will be had for around 10-12k US dollars but who knows, you may find a great deal on a 103 with low miles. All you need to figure out is what style bike you want. Steet Glide, road glide ultra ect...once you make a choic, hunt for it and put the word out as well. If you get picky on the color then you will limit your choices. Also keep in mind that you may get some nice accessories on a used bike too. Good luck on your new ride.

Thanks for the info guys...So for sure it needs to be 2009 or better, right? I guess 09 and up is when they upgraded a lot? Also, how many is too many miles? I found an 2013 Ultra with 52k for $10k.
Is it near by where you live? See it, hear it, touch it. From a dealer or a private sale. There are many experienced people here that can tell you what to look for when buying used. Unfortunately my experience is limited. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back