free website stats program Best way I've found to remove bugs | Harley Davidson Forums

Best way I've found to remove bugs

ewiltgen

I use a 1/4 cup of hydrogen peroxide mixed with distilled water in a spray bottle, The peroxide reacts with the proteins in the bugs and softens them up. They wipe right off with a micro fiber cloth after a minute or two. It works great on the fairing as well. I finish the windshield with a good ammonia free cleaner such as Invisible Glass. Then I follow up with a good quick detail spray, I like Renny Doyle Bead Maker or Bug Slide.

I use a 1/4 cup of hydrogen peroxide mixed with distilled water in a spray bottle, The peroxide reacts with the proteins in the bugs and softens them up. They wipe right off with a micro fiber cloth after a minute or two. It works great on the fairing as well. I finish the windshield with a good ammonia free cleaner such as Invisible Glass. Then I follow up with a good quick detail spray, I like Renny Doyle Bead Maker or Bug Slide.

Interesting so you end up with ~ 1% H2O2, I would think that its mostly the water that is softening them up. But I'll give it a try.
Try using dryer sheets any brand, wet them and gently rub, the bugs will come right off, rinse well.
On my bike I finish everything except leather with spray Pledge, it really makes getting all the bugs and grime easier to remove... and smells good too!:)

I've updated your my bug remover recipe I use 12 to 16 ounces of hydrogen peroxide in a 32 oz sprayer plus 1/2 teaspoon of car wash shampoo as a wetting agent. After the bike is clean I us Bead Maker Black Paint Protectant by P&S. I feel it's better than F11 and does not attract dust. Great Stuff !

I've updated your my bug remover recipe I use 12 to 16 ounces of hydrogen peroxide in a 32 oz sprayer plus 1/2 teaspoon of car wash shampoo as a wetting agent. After the bike is clean I us Bead Maker Black Paint Protectant by P&S. I feel it's better than F11 and does not attract dust. Great Stuff !

I haven't tried your old recipe yet, the car wash shampoo is probably a great idea, evidently this is still a work in progress so let us know how it goes. BTW you are still ~ 1%.

Hey Y'all,
Any particular advice for the black denim paint? The previous owner had a leather bag strapped to the backrest and riding on the rear fender. It rubbed a "shiny" spot in the otherwise soft flat denim.
I was terrified of rubbing/scrubbing too hard on the bugs. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

I had a wide glide with denim paint.Not a fan,you can't touch it up,and everything is all about petina.So I guess those shiny spots are now part of the bike's character.;) If you ever do that with bags a piece of wide packing tape on the paint,put on first, will stop the wear.

My buddy had a dyna 07 I think in denim green, also had lots of washing problems shiny spots where he rubbed too hard when it dried, he only kept it a couple of months traded for a softy.

The only way to totally remove all dead bugs from all places on your bike, and get the gunk off of your grips to boot, is to get caught in a rain storm. Removing the dirt is easier than removing the bugs!!:D

Back