free website stats program Best Pickup for Hauling a ElectraGlide | Harley Davidson Forums

Best Pickup for Hauling a ElectraGlide

BOBFLHTC

I currently have a 4X8 trailer and want to switch to a used pickup with a Long/8ft bed to carry my bike. Standard cab is fine. In 3 years I am selling the large house and retiring. I thought I would buy a used RV and tow the truck behind with the bike on it instead of towing a trailer. I would like to have a light truck but not too light. I have a 91 S10 but the bed is too small. I thought I could have a ramp welded to the back of the long bed for ease of loading/unloading. It would be nice to have a small truck in addition to a RV for obvious reasons. Thanks - Bob

I will definitely have to consider the Toy Hauler as an option. I know I would need a more serious truck but it would be the only 4 wheel I would own anyway. Thanks - Bob

Bob I used a Rampage m/c lift. It also allows a short bed truck to carry a full dressed Harley. Do a Goggle search on the Rampage. It is pricey at $2000 to $2500 but it was safe and did the trick. If you want to come up to Canada I might sell it to you.

any half ton (or bigger) out there with a 8ft box would do just fine. just compare the trucks to each other for what they are and what they can do. like price and gas milage. good luck:D

Bob I am using a 40' toy hauler now. It is great to have that extra room in the back. We use it as a mud room so that keeps the main living area clean and free of shoes etc. I don't think that I would want a regular rv trailer again even if we didn't have the Harley.

Bob; I used to carry my Dyna in the back of my 4x4 Chevy on occasion. I reduced the SCARY ramp problem by finding a swale (southern ditch :D) to back the rear tires into for loading unloading. Sometimes I got the tailgate down to drive on/off height. It still took 2 people to do it safely.

Definitely advise against ramping bike into pickup bed - accident waiting to happen. Listen to others & agree w/Toy Hauler. It will provide safe/secure means to haul & complement the RV.

Back