free website stats program Best Lubrication For Rear Drive Chain | Harley Davidson Forums

Best Lubrication For Rear Drive Chain

dangerdan

I eny you guys with rear belt drive, however I have a rear chain drive and am looking for recommendations on which chain lube is the least offensive that will not fly off and make a mess of the rear tire\wheel.

I am not intersted in an auto oiler - Messy also.

If there are guards available any recommendation are welcome.

Thanks guys

I believe it's PJ1 that puts out a lube that dries to a tacky substance and eliminates flyoff. I don't think it is used on "O" ring chains.

I did a google search on PJ1 , which lead me to other links - Wow !!
Sure is a lot of controversy as to which lube works best.

Tackey
Stickey
Clear
Waxy
Smelly
Oily
Greasey

PJ1 got excellent reviews and is available for O'rings. Will try it and see how it works.
Interesting note: Had no idea that O'rings required different lube. :bigsmiley12:

I use Champion chain lube. Its safe for all types of chains, and it doesn't "sling" as much as others I have used. I use an old rag and wipe the chain down before application, to get some of the grime from the last lube off. Then I spray the chain down with a shop towel backer and work the new lube into the chain getting off the excess to prevent more splattering.

convert to belt drive think of the money you will save on lube :)
Really I would never want to go back to a chain

Smitty this bike had a belt drive before a rock took out the belt and sprockets.

Believe me Im tempted, but at over $1000 to convert , its not going to happen.

i use white lightening or chain gold.......................................................not a motorbike specfic lube and is a pain to apply and needs cleaning off before reapplication as it leaves a dry teflon coating on the chain and is extremely water proof so you need a good citrus degreaser and patience

ps....its mountain bike lube :D

DuPont Teflon Chain Lube was also recommended but not sure of its availibility on Ontario... The PJ1 is readily available at our local Canadian Tire

For what it's worth I used to have a "Water Buffalo" It was a 3 cylinder, 2 stroke, water cooled screamer made by Suzuki. Every 6 months I would take the chain off soak it in mineral spirits to clean it, then inspect it. If all was good I would get a big coffee can put a enough vaseline and just a little 30 weight oil in the can to cover the chain coiled up in the can. Outside over very low heat warm up the mixture to a liquid then put the chain in. Heat a little longer then let it cool. Take the chain out wipe off the excess reinstall and go. Every part of the chain got lubricated especially under the rollers. In between this procedure I would use a little Belray chain lube when needed. Keep in mind this was in the late 70's I'm sure the technology in lubricants and chains has come a long way.

Back