free website stats program Best lifting point on a softail | Harley Davidson Forums

Best lifting point on a softail

Joyflyin

Experienced Member
Staff member
Okay, I know you will find this hard to believe, but I have another question, :D, but is it okay to lift my bike with the shocks resting on one side of the jack? I have the room to put the jack in the front, but the balance point is off from that & it sort of scares me. Just wondering if it is bad on the shocks to move the bike back a bit.

I noticed in Smitty's pix, it looks like he may be on the shocks on the FB. Sorry, I couldn't find the pic.

Thanks again!

I put a set of 1/4" thick hard rubber pads on the rear to clear the rear shocks when jacking up my bike, that was the only place that give the bike balanced and very stable without using straps. I don't know if it would damage the rear shocks if I let them rest on the lift though, just don't wanna find out the hard way.

Technically, the weight of the bike is resting on the shock attaching point all of the time anyway, and if they could be damaged that easily, we would all be in trouble on a rough road!!
The padded surface of the jack will not damage them, it will just not distribute the weight as well as it would with a pad that rested directly on the frame.

Technically, the weight of the bike is resting on the shock attaching point all of the time anyway, and if they could be damaged that easily, we would all be in trouble on a rough road!!
The padded surface of the jack will not damage them, it will just not distribute the weight as well as it would with a pad that rested directly on the frame.

Agree to disagree. the weight and the frame are resting in between the push/pull motion of the shocks from end to end, so as long as they keeps doing push/pull from end to end, they are ok 'cause that what they are designed to do but if you put the jack in the mid section of the shocks and jack it up, you could easily bend the shaft 'cause they are not designed as a lift points. Just a though.

This is partially true but the weight is in a different direction. Lifting with the weight of the bike on the jack pad/shocks flexes the shocks sideways, they weren't designed to do this. It's stated in the owners manual I believe not to jack the bike resting the jack on the shocks. It can bend them. I use a block of rubber under the frame on the jack pad to remove the contact from the shocks and avoid any problems.

:s Gotcha. I bet I can find something around the shop that will work. I have been putting the jack in front of the shocks, but it isn't a good balance point, so I was using the strap, but it is kind of in the way. Funny, I didn't think of putting something on the frame. But, that doesn't surprise me. :D After all, I'm out working on my bike, reading the service manual, checking out this site, then going over & doing the work on the bike, got a question, back to the book. :) Or the panic ?? here. :newsmile011:

I put a couple of shims under the frame toward the rear of the bike. This kept the shocks off of the jack's lifting pad and put the weight on the frame instead. I have the bike stored on the jack for the winter.

Just a note... If your bike is lowered at all, it is going to be a pain in the "back-side" to use shims/rubber/anything else between the frame and the jack. My 04 Fatboy is lowered about an inch and craftsman jack (yellow) can be a "bugger" to get under the frame. I have tried to use something as an offset for the shocks, but haven't had much luck. The best technique I have found is setting the jack immediately in front of the shocks, not over them. I haven't had any problems yet, ya the front wheel comes off the ground first but not real bad. If I get real nervous because of the work I am doing to the bike, I set it on a few jack stands.

JR

Last edited:
Just a note... If your bike is lowered at all, it is going to be a pain in the (EDIT) to use shims/rubber/anything else between the frame and the jack.

You are right! It is a pain getting the shim between the lifting pad and the frame. I found I need to have the bike standing upright in order to accomplish this.

Back