free website stats program Best 6 speed for the money on a 91 FLHS | Harley Davidson Forums

Best 6 speed for the money on a 91 FLHS

I want a six speed. I also want it polished and chromed. Who makes the best trans for the money? Do I need to spend $1400.00 to get a good trans?

Thanks Glenn

I put an Ultima 6 speed on my '97 Heritage and it was great. Excellent customer service as well. Revtech has a poor reputation (IMO) and Baker/Jims are too pricey.

I want a six speed. I also want it polished and chromed. Who makes the best trans for the money? Do I need to spend $1400.00 to get a good trans?

Thanks Glenn

Depends what you want to do. If you are gonna do a bunch of touring, you probably want something stout and dependable that is not gonna leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere. I put the SE 6-spd on my '03 UC, but it was close to $3K with everything and doing it myself. If I had it to do again, I would go for the Baker DD6. However, even the builder's kit will aproach $3K. The complete tranny will obviously be more.

If you will just be tooling around town with the occassional day trip, a much cheaper version will probably do. I am gonna put a Revtech 6-spd OD on my Dyna. This bike will not wander to far afield, so if it breaks down, I will not be stranded. The RevTechs definitely do not have a good rap, but I am not sure if that is old news or current problems.

TQ

Who sells the Ultima? I did not see it in J&P. What are the problems with the RevTechs?
Any current Revtech owners out there?

Glenn

the Rev techs were supposedly redesigned to be stouter and have a warrenty on par with bakers now .. no exp with them though

I bought my Ultima through Jireh. Now, I will tell you that I did have a problem with the main shaft bearing/seal, it started leaking oil after about 1K miles of use. They, Ultima, did next day air me a new bearing & seal but I did have to pull the tranny (not an easy task) the day before my wife and I headed out on a 2k mile trip to Yellowstone. What upset me was that they admitted it was a "known" problem....kinda torques a guy off. Anyhow, I changed the main shaft seal bearing & seal and have not had any problems since. I also learned to use Belray fluid in my tranny for 2 reasons: 1, it's great tranny lube and 2: it's red, you know what's leaking (primary vs. tranny).....trust me, it helps.

Overall, good tranny.

PS: You'll have to buy the Dakota Digital speedo recal deal as well.

Back