free website stats program Belt to chain conversion on an 06 883/1200 | Harley Davidson Forums

Belt to chain conversion on an 06 883/1200

trainman

I want to convert to chain on the rear of my XL883/1200.
What size sprockets are needed to retain the stock gearing (28-65)?
Rear tire is standard width so no not need offset front sprocket.
Anyone with a good source for these parts? Part numbers?

Thank you.

John

I have an Undertaker trailer system which lifts the front wheel up and the rear is on the pavement. With high pipes it is a nightmare to remove the belt for moving long distances.
With a chain I can just pop the master link and I am on my way.

UndertakerMTS - Motorcycle Trailers, trailer, bike

DSCN0991.jpg

John

Done!!!

(1) PBI 283-25T transmission sprocket with .500" offset.
(1) PBI 2073 60T flat sprocket.
(1) MotoParts 530 -120 O Ring Chain.
(1) Cycle Parts for less DS1201-0600 1/2" rear spacer.
(5) Five Fastenal 7/16-14 X 2 1/4 long Grade 8 Hex head Bolts.
(1) Tube of Red Locktite.

For a grand total of about $240.00 for parts including shipping.

Some people have asked me: isn't that a step backwards? My reply is that I just want
to put the SPORT back into my Sportster! I also do some off road riding so this was a
logical choice.

DSCN2227.jpg

Looks good to me. Not being up to date on modern day chains, what sort of maintenance is involved?

Years ago (40) when I use race I just used motor oil and let it sling off and add more as needed. Today with "X" Ring and "O" Ring chains and more street riding than dirt I am going to try Bel Ray or some similar Chain Lube.

Just saying this I saw a post on c-list here in Phoenix a complete kit for $350 I like your price better. But, when I rode Ninjas I used a tipe of spray wax lube.

I am up for anything that does a good job of lubrication the chain/sprockets and does not sling off. Thanks for the tip on chain wax.

Back