free website stats program Belt Tension Tool | Harley Davidson Forums

Belt Tension Tool

Bosbury1

Bought the Belt Tension Tool today (p/n 40006-85). It says " On 1985 and later vehicles, note which mark on the debris deflector is directly opposite the saddle on the tool. My debris deflector chrome has no marks even checked the stock one no marks as well. How do I measure the deflection? Don't I need a marks to do this correctly.

I would put a piece of masking tape next to the slot in the deflector and measure off with a ruler and mark the increments in 1/4 "or 1/8" slash marks if you are fussy like me with a pencil. Start where the belt is resting and go up from there.

Great idea. Glider I really want to thank you all your help as well as others this forum has been the best for me in understanding how to work on my bike. Thanks again for all your assistance.

Wanted to report back on the rear sprocket cover project done this past weekend. Removed the wheel; used a coat hangar and measured from the rear swingarm bolt to the rear axel exactly 17 inches on both sides. Kept the rear belt adjusting bolts in place removed the rear wheel. Put on the new parts; everything went back together with relative ease although the brakes were a little bothersome. As I looked at the adjustment prior to removing the rear wheel on the belt the widest gap was 1 1/4 inches and the lowest was 3/4 inch. As I replaced everything the measurements were the same so I knew I was in the ballpark. Used the belt tensioner again measured at four different places on the belt determined the tighest clearance (by using chalk) and made my adjustment. Marked the adjusting bolt with a black fine marker to determine equal turns on both sides. Bolted everything down to spec; test rode and made one more measurement and adjustment. Voila its done.

Thanks to all of you and your patience and cooperation in assisting me in this project. Oh... by the way the cover looks awesome.

p.s. Special thanks to Glider

p.s.s. The dealer was suppose to do the adjustment about 500 miles ago at the checkup. I'm not so sure they did it now given the adjustment was significantly off.

Back