free website stats program Belt squeaks. New pulley with old belt | Harley Davidson Forums

Belt squeaks. New pulley with old belt

Jdsmitty10

Ever since I installed my new wheel set and new pulley. My belt squeaks when pushing the bike around the garage. Also my wheel seems to be getting belt dust on it. I never noticed this much dust before with my old wheel. Never really looked as close either though since I didn't like the old wheel. The bike was supposedly aligned and belt tensioned by a dealer. *Should I notice belt dust on a clean wheel after one ride? Is that normal? Could the squeaking be from an old belt on a new pulley? Any other thoughts?*

Thanks!
WAP.gif

Check your rear wheel alignment and tension too. Don't trust work that some of these techs do without checking it yourself.

I took a closer look and it appears the belt is riding the outer edge of the pulley. I took a pic of the belt to show how the outer edge of each tooth seems to be wearing a flat/angle spot. Someone said if I twist the belt and it goes 45degrees(lack belt tension tool) it should not be too tight. I can twist it 45 deg.

055fb82b.jpg

Looking at te pic do you think I am wearing my belt too quickly? I am worried if I let off the right side adjuster I am gonna put my pulley REAL close to the swing arm. I already have scary tight clearance there. I am talking about the bracket thatholds the upper belt guard and the pulley being really close.
WAP.gif

Best way to check rear alignment is with a Tram. A Tram is a long metal bar/pipe that has 1 fixed end with arrow like tip and 1 adjustable arm with tip/pointer on it. Simply align center of swing arm bolt to axel bolt lock the tram and check against other side and adjust as necessary. One can use a tape measure but a Tram is much more accurate. Secondly Being a mechanic I've seen belts take a curve to them from being aligned wrong and being used anyway. Long story short, your seeing wear on one side of the belt, it squeaks when you roll it and it's making belt dust relativity fast. I would bring it back and demand a new belt. Last thing you want to do is throw a belt when your riding, it could get tangled up and cause rear tire to lock up.

I think it's actually brake dust I am seeing on the wheel. The belt doesn't seem dusty and the pulley isn't showing signs of dustiness. If I lift the belt on the under side where it is about to go into the pulley it makes the squeaking sound I hear when pushing it around the garage. Seems to be just the sound it makes as it rubs the outer edge of the pulley. I also read in the manual that te outboard side of the belt may bevel which is what I would think is what my pic is showing.
WAP.gif

Not a good idea to twist any belt like the one on your bike. Verify the alignment on the rear wheel and spray a bit of Silicone on the belt as you turn the wheel.

Back