free website stats program belt noise | Harley Davidson Forums

belt noise

george smith

my belt is sqeeking, has been adjusted, cleaned, dressed. still making noise may quit for a little bit after cleaning, adjusting, or dressing. but noise comes back. belt seems to be in good condition. 34,000 miles. any ideas?? getting ready for big ride!!! need help!

my belt is sqeeking, has been adjusted, cleaned, dressed. still making noise may quit for a little bit after cleaning, adjusting, or dressing. but noise comes back. belt seems to be in good condition. 34,000 miles. any ideas?? getting ready for big ride!!! need help!

Welcome george smith. post number 1..
Now You will Hopefully get some answers..

Mine Had a problem that showed up on my bike years back (2oooFXDS).. I had to run the Belt a TAD bit looser than the Specks..Every time it Was too tight it squeaked and too loose it would not make a noise... I found the happy Medium and went for that.

I aligned like you have, waxed the belt, but the Loosening did the trick..

IF too loose it will be hard on the belt..SO,

JUST a WEE BIT...

signed....BUBBIE

I've seen this often and normally the wheel is slightly cocked. It doesn't take much to make noise:s

That's what we thought. We changed the wheel bearing...are there any other bearings?? Pretty sure its belt though because when you put dressing on it, or even spray it with water it will quite temporarily. Any other suggestions? Thanks!!

Does anyone know where I can find Dry Silicone Spray by Krylon? I've checked Local Hardware stores, O'Reilly, even Wal-Mart! Help! Please haha

Tight belt will squeak sometimes no squeak till bike has done a few miles as the pulleys front and rear get hot and expand a wee bit squeak starts then loosen a wee bit more should then be good

Brian

George, does it squeak when cold? When I adjusted mine to the spec cold, the belt would start squeaking after rolling a bit. That was caused by additional tightening as friction heats the real belt pulley and it expands. I agree with Bubbie that the cold specs are a little too tight. It is important to find the tight spot when adjusting and then set it at that point. I found some help on this site and set mine a little loose as it will tighten while riding, causing the squeak.

I use the dupont silicon spray, spray a little on a cloth and rub it on the inside of the belt. For alignment I use two 6' florescent bulbs and stand the bike up stright, place the bulbs on either side of the rear tire extending forward. Measure from two places on the front tire on both sides. The measurments will be equal if the rear tire is stright in the frame. Careful with the bulbs, they make a mess if you break them.

Back