free website stats program Belt Life? | Harley Davidson Forums

Belt Life?

89 FXRS

Was wondering on average how many miles does one get from the rear drive belt if they don't do burn outs or wheelies?

I've got 82,000 on mine currently... original belt. However, as suggested above, I'm pretty obsessive about adjusting the tension and checking for any damage.

How often does everyone have to adjust their belt?

The belt (and pulley bolts) should be on a pre-ride check. So just when ever the belt gets away from manual specs, which admittedly doesn't seem to happen that often so Smitty's post covers the time factor.

+1 on above. About the only thing I do differently from Smitty is I replace pads EVERYTIME I change the rear tire. IMHO, I think of it as cheap insurance. :)

Got a small stone imbedded in a drive belt with less than 14K miles. My mechanic caught it-I had not noticed. Otherwise the belt looked like new.

These belts are tough, if properly maintained they can go 100k, I have put 50k plus on 3 evos and 1 twin cam with out changing belts:s

I just got my HOG magizine today and it just so happened to have an article on belt life in there. One person wrote in that he has a 1996 FLHTCI that he bought new and he has 127K miles on the original belt. (I believe I would change that one before it caught me out somewhere) :coffee

I've got 105k on my original belt on my 04 Road Glide. I've never babied the bike, but I don't attempt burnouts or wheelies. I inspect it for damage when I change rear tires, which I've done myself all the time myself and also check the tension.

Looks like a tough job to change one of them bad boys. 47,000 so far. I suppose I could save a few bucks in labor by having it replaced when I'm getting a new tire. I need to check it on a regularr basis. Thank God for the peace of ming with triple AAA.

Back