free website stats program Belt drive ID? | Harley Davidson Forums

Belt drive ID?

Can one identify this belt drive? There are no markings or company names. It's on a 1974 FXE. Since there's no primary chain, how do I change the tranny oil? Also, any idea what the white cylinder to the rear is? None of this is in the manuals I've got. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0719.jpg
    IMG_0719.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 33
Trans drain should be found on the bottom of the end cover on the opposite side from the primary.

Follow the hose on the white cylinder and see where it goes. Most likely to the breather for the engine and used as a catch can for oil dribble.

Have no idea on the belt drive.

Gates is the OEM manufacturer/inventor of the "toothed belt" design that MOCO uses, though nowadays Aramid and Carbon Fiber plies reinforce the teeth, so measure the inside diameter, width and count the number of teeth so you can take advantage of the newer rugged technology.

Google their website and they should have a technical person to help you determine the p/n replacement, or once you remove it an eyeball it carefully, there might be a logo and part number on it.

Googled MOCO. Must be another name unless they make lumberjack equip. I'm not going to take it apart unless it goes bad. Thanks.

Googling "MOCO" was vernacular for Harley Davidson Motor Company (Moco). I have a narrow belt primary drive on my shovelhead, no problems, just rough starts due to not having a compensator in the front sprocket.

Great! Thanks for the info.

I didn't see a trans drain plug. This is a 5 spd and I think the original was a 4 so where would the drain be on a 5 spd? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Googled MOCO. Must be another name unless they make lumberjack equip. I'm not going to take it apart unless it goes bad. Thanks.

Glassbreaker, sorry for the venacular...the belt is made by Gates, here is a link to their website. If you NEED a replacement you can turn it inside out and use a flat belt guage available at a general automotive store like NAPA or AutoZone for the approx. size. Then talk to technical guy at Gates or NAPA for replacement.

Gates Timing Belts

Can one identify this belt drive? There are no markings or company names. It's on a 1974 FXE. Since there's no primary chain, how do I change the tranny oil? Also, any idea what the white cylinder to the rear is? None of this is in the manuals I've got. Thanks.

You may have already found the drain plug, but if your trans is a ratchet top, the drain plug should be under the center of the transmission.

You pressure plate is an after market design. The pressure plate spring adjustment measurement will be a little different. Make you measurement from one of the spring hole instead of the top of the pressure plate. This will get you close. Then adjust the nuts a half turn at a time to get it spot on.

The white cylinder.. Good question. Where does the hose go? To the top of the oil tank maybe? Is it attached to the nipple at the top of the oil tank? If so, it's an over flow cylinder.
Is their more than one hose on the cylinder. If doesn't appear to be an oil filter.

More info perhaps? Maybe some additional pictures...

How is your bottom end breather set up?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back