free website stats program Beginner mechanic | Harley Davidson Forums

Beginner mechanic

AFJoe

I inherited my pops 1986 Harley FXR and I’m trying to knock the bumps and bruises off. I have pictures of this bike with me sitting on the back all the way back in middle school. I recently ran into a problem and plan on looking through the threads before posting a new question. I am not mechanically inclined but am a fast learner. Hope everyone is safe out there!

Welcome aboard, glad to have you here! Best of luck bringing back your old memories to make new ones! ;)

Welcome to HDT from sunny AZ. Ask any questions you may have, lots of smart people here to help.

Welcome from south Texas. That's a really cool motorcycle; IIRC, first year the FXR motor was an EVO, not a Shovel. Get the service manual for the bike; the HD service manual if you can find one and not Clymer or whatever the other is. Don't know the history on the bike or mileage but would definitely do a three hole fluid change, check the primary chain tension, replace the tires if worn or past the service limit, check the clutch adjustment and closely inspect the brakes. I have seen a "kit" for the three hole fluid change on Ebay for $65, Maxima I think with the necessary Twin Power fluids.

I would also run a compression test just to assess the condition of the top end. Good luck, keep us posted on progress and have some fun with the bike.;)

Back