free website stats program Before I break something...! | Harley Davidson Forums

Before I break something...!

BenHawk

I'm in the midst of doing a little maintenance on my '96 XL1200C trying to remedy an overflowing carb (original OEM Keihin CV carb). I've dropped out the float, which isn't defective, and need to remove the fuel inlet valve so I can check it out. I'm looking at it and can't figure out how it should come out. Does it screw out, or is it just pressed in the brass boss?

FWIW, I figure I'll probably need to replace the valve. I understand there's a rubber coating that wears off over time. I figure after 13 years it's probably toast. Figure I'll replace the fuel line, vacuum line & fuel inlet fitting while I'm at it.

Thanks in advance!
Ben
Stafford, VA

There is a little clip on the float that holds it in the cylinder. Just a couple wires. Tward the hinge of the float you'll see a small staple size wire (little narrower than a staple) thats attached to the small roundish "stopper" for lack of better words. After the float is removed (by sliding out the hinge pin) the little stopper should come with it, then can be unattached fairly easily. The piece you're looking for is just a bit bigger than a tic-tac and has a cone shaped rubber end pointed at the fuel inlet, the float side has the small wire looking similar to a staple. Its accessed best with the carb upside down just after removing the bowl.

Last edited:
Shouldn't be any need to remove the seat assembly in the fuel inlet, once you pull the pin for the float, the float and the needle will drop out. Just pay attention to how it comes out and replace the needle assembly.

Open the petcock and let some fuel run through and if you want to spray some gum out up into the seat then to be sure and re run some fuel through the valve again, then reassemble.

Thank you for the advice! I had dropped the float, but the float needle didn't come with it. Turns out there was some varnish holding it in. The rubber tip looks ok, but I'm thinking of buying the $12 rebuild kit that supplies a new float needle along with the other gaskets, etc.

Took the vacuum petcock apart - nasty! Needs some work...

Thanks again!

No doubt the varnish was the problem with the furl overflowing the carb. Best bet may be to remove the carb completely and do it up right with a cleaning.

Back