free website stats program Bearing loose in wheel | Harley Davidson Forums

Bearing loose in wheel

2000classic

Have a 2000 Ultra. Removed the rear wheel to get a new tire installed. Found that both wheel bearings seem to be fine, but the one on the left side by the drive sprocket is loose in the c'bore where it seats. I can move entire bearing back and forth .030"-.040" and spin the outer race within the wheel itself. Any thoughts on repair short of replacing the wheel?:(

I can move entire bearing back and forth .030"-.040" and spin the outer race within the wheel itself. ?:(

That is a crazy amount of distance. Like Chopper said, replace the wheel.

If the bearing is not frozen, I do wonder how that happened. I have not yet replaced wheel bearings but I would guess they would be an interference (press) fit.

Thanks for the replies guys. Reaffirmed what I had already accepted as the proper fix. Glider, when I pull out on the bearing it becomes tight in the c'bore, telling me the outer area of the c'bore is normal and area of the bearing is worn. Hoople, the bearings are a press fit so I too wonder how it could have happened. Bearing is not froze and feels really good when you turn it. I got the bike with about 15k on it. It now has about 60k. Always used proper torque on the axle. Oh well, looks like I'm goin shoppin!:bigsmiley29:

I seen that same thing happen in a travelers bike a few summers ago, luckily we had a used wheel around and got him back on the road. All I can figure is maybe at time of manufacture the spec's were way on the loose side and time took care of the rest or maybe had new bearings installed some time and the tech was fresh out of MMI did not press new bearing in stright and shaved the hub pressing it in? Anyways good thing you caught it, a wheel is a small price to pay. Harley's got some nice one's at a reasonable price, you have to get the installation kit when you buy harley wheels now, if your inner spacer is still good you can just opt for the bearings.

Yep, same thoughts I was having as to how this came about. I did not do any upgrades to the bike this winter. This must be the reason I was hanging on to my money. :s I will get new bolts to mount old brake disc to new wheel. What about bolts for the sprocket? Do they need to be replaced with new?

So thought before I shell out for brand new wheel, thought I would check with some dealers for new or almost new take-off. Been doing some checking and it looks like a wheel from '00-'08 will work, but '00-'01 had 3/4" axle. Suggesting that the only difference would be the bearings used. Can anyone confirm this before I go looking? Thanks.:)

So thought before I shell out for brand new wheel, thought I would check with some dealers for new or almost new take-off. Been doing some checking and it looks like a wheel from '00-'08 will work, but '00-'01 had 3/4" axle. Suggesting that the only difference would be the bearings used. Can anyone confirm this before I go looking? Thanks.:)

08 uses a 25mm bearing but it will work on ealrier model with bearing change i used 07 wheels that came with 1" bearing on mine once i changed it to the 25mm

Back