free website stats program BC Canada oppressive insurance costs | Harley Davidson Forums

BC Canada oppressive insurance costs

cdn-bigfoot

I just moved from Alberta to BC. (well 6 mos ago, don't tell ICBC)

In Alberta my yearly insurance for my 2006 Streetbob was $530.
That's 2 million PLPD, fire, theft, collision.

I just got back from the Autoplan ICBC (Insurance Company of British Columbia - Gov't forced & run Insurance coverage). They quoted me $980 for 6 months and that's with the bare minimum 200,000 PLPD, no fire, no theft, no collision. This would be almost $2000/yr for basic coverage and closer to $2500-$3000/yr for the same level of coverage I had in Alberta for $530/yr.

I have not had a car or motorcycle accident in 32 years of driving and 30 years of riding! ICBC will apply up to a 40% discount if I can prove no claims in the last 8 years. My son had a $4000 claim on my insurance 3 years ago. He is no longer on my insurance. In Alberta I am classified a good driver and get the best rate possible. NOT IN BC! His accident will count against me for the next 5 years. So I get a 15% discount instead of the 40% max allowed by the BC Government Insurance racket (as in racketeering). In BC, I am paying 50% more for car insurance, and now face a 300% increase for my motorcycle.

This BC gov't has got to go. ICBC has got to go. If not, I have to go... back to Alberta!

i hear you, i am from Vernon. when i moved to Calgary i sure got so save up for more toys...
I remember when I.C.B.C. came in i thought they would of changed something by now but i guess not.

but just so you don't feel too bad i now pay 30% of the cost of the vehicle no matter what it is. car, motorcycle or donkey. that is how they figure it out in Venezuela. the funny thing is there is a lot of $40 - $50,000 vehicles driving around. i have to pay over $3,000 for a 2001 blazer. but the strange part is you can have as many accidents as you like and the insurance doesn't go up.
the only good thing to offset it is the price of fuel...cost less than $1 to fill up. no i didn't forget the 000 ...one dallar

p.s. A good friend in Alberta always told me that B.C. stands for Bring Cash, last time i went to visit my folks i thought he was right

ride safe especially in B.C.

[QUOTE

ICBC is a huge communist insurance rip-off.[/QUOTE]

has been since i got my first bike....needs to be changed, but who knows how i was 18 then and am 52 now

I feel your pain. Here in Manitoba, MPI took $1372 for my Ultra after my 27% discount. That's with $2mil third party liability, $200 collision and comprehensive (fire and theft) deductibles. Without my discount it would have been $1917.
And this is for a riding season determined to be 5 mths. I'd still be covered outside those 5 mths though. This doesn't cover me if I rode it to work every day, that would've cost me another $300.

And that rate would go up if even more if I lived in the city.

so get the basic from ICBC which is mandatory and the rest from say BCAA like I do and pay $1500 a year instead of $2500

WOW, u guys sure do get gouged up there in Canada, I feel your pain, here in Florida rates can get high depending on your local and how many blue hairs are driving. My case was TOO high when we first moved here 15 years ago, I called Progressive complaining, they told me I qualified for the Gold program and cut my rate in half so I now pay 1 dollar a day for FULL coverage, I asked them why they never told me about this program, Their response was they are not obligated to inform the customer it is up to US to check GO figure, good luck to ya all Just My 2 cents:s

Ya I feel the pain too! My insurance is due for renewal, and went up $100 with No claims!? And I only get the basics from ICBC. My optional is thru Beacon Underwriting. Total for both is $1650/yr. They base your rates partly on where you live, commute to work etc..
BTW... Welcome to BC bigfoot. What part did you move to?

BTW... Welcome to BC bigfoot. What part did you move to?

Thanks.
Moved to South Surrey. Minutes from the US border crossing at Peace Arch.

I decided to save myself $1000 and only insure the bike for 6 months starting in April. So for the next 6 months will go with a day permit for any days I want to ride at $26/day through ICBC.

NOT happy about this! I came to BC to ride more, now I may very well end up riding less. Eventually I will probably have to bend over and give up like the rest of British Columbians and get year round insurance. But for now I am withholding all I can from the government.

Thanks.
Moved to South Surrey. Minutes from the US border crossing at Peace Arch.

I decided to save myself $1000 and only insure the bike for 6 months starting in April. So for the next 6 months will go with a day permit for any days I want to ride at $26/day through ICBC.

NOT happy about this! I came to BC to ride more, now I may very well end up riding less. Eventually I will probably have to bend over and give up like the rest of British Columbians and get year round insurance. But for now I am withholding all I can from the government.

I'm up in PoCo. But am gonna be moving South of the river in a month or 2. I work in Surrey and can't afford the new bridge tolls. Are you going on the toy run on Sunday? I might.

Back