free website stats program Batwing Tallboy Handlebars 56184-08 | Harley Davidson Forums

Batwing Tallboy Handlebars 56184-08

Biffy08

Has anyone tried these handlebars instead of like many, going higher with apes? I don't want apes though I know they would be much more comfortable. The HD site shows 1.5" taller and 2" away. My elbows really bother me on my 2014 Streetglide and I am just wondering if these dimension will give my elbows any relief. Any light you can shed would be appreciated!

Handlebar spec: http://www.adventureharley.com/harley-davidson-chrome-bat-wing-tallboy-handlebar-56184-08/
While sitting on bike position hands where bars would end up being and see how it feels. The change does not seem to be all that much. Have you thought about rotating the bars you have a bit or different riser????
Thanks dbmg! Rotating the bars, yes, but not different risers. What do you think my options are with risers? How much will they adjust the stock bars and would any "customization" have to take place? There is not a lot of room under the panel under the ignition, if I remember correctly.

I've had shoulder problems from bars,but never elbows.I've also rotated my bars,and don't see where risers would fit.If you have used apes and are more comfortable,I'd do that. I've tried apes and they were not comfortable at all,but some love em.The cost for changing bars on flhx's isn't cheap.I was quoted over a grand.It will cost the same for apes as the bars you descibe,it's all labor.So if you know apes will work........Now if you are going to do the labor,it's a whole different game.The bars you describe don't really fit into the grooves on the batwing from what I've seen and read,you'll lose a little upward movement,which may also affect you.

I've had shoulder problems from bars,but never elbows.I've also rotated my bars,and don't see where risers would fit.If you have used apes and are more comfortable,I'd do that. I've tried apes and they were not comfortable at all,but some love em.The cost for changing bars on flhx's isn't cheap.I was quoted over a grand.It will cost the same for apes as the bars you descibe,it's all labor.So if you know apes will work........Now if you are going to do the labor,it's a whole different game.The bars you describe don't really fit into the grooves on the batwing from what I've seen and read,you'll lose a little upward movement,which may also affect you.
Thanks jamesearl. I had 10" apes on my previous Electra Glide and they were great. I did it myself and it was quite a bit of work! I just never liked the look of the handlebars over the fairing(or any apehanger on a bike with a fairing) and your hands tend to got cold when hangin in the breeze!:eek::p
I would really like to hear some more opinions.

Not sure how risers will work on the OPs bike; possible I guess but the rise would be limited by the clearance between the clamp and the plastic cover, infotainment system, etc. sitting above.

Best bet is a bar change. 10" apes work well and the Khrome Werks Sweeper series is probably the most popular bagger bar. I have been researching bars for quite a while and the 2+2 Sweeper looks like what I will be changing too. The OP should be aware that a bar with more rise and pull back will likely require throttle/clutch cable replacement as well as brake line replacement to accommodate the added length. Hill Country Customs offers some good packages of bars and the required cables/lines required, or just the cables and lines if the bars are purchased somewhere else. The OP can save some major $$ by buying the parts, setting aside a weekend and a couple of six packs and making this a DIY project.

http://www.khromewerks.com/1-inch-Sweepers-and-Bagger-Sweepers-1065-179-1.html

http://www.hillcountrycustomcycles.com/Handlebars-C145.aspx

dolt and jamesearl are correct, risers won't work with your setup. I checked into risers for my scoot a couple years ago and the aforementioned issues from dolt will not give you the room.
New bars,cables and brake lines were the only way to make it work for me.

Not sure how risers will work on the OPs bike; possible I guess but the rise would be limited by the clearance between the clamp and the plastic cover, infotainment system, etc. sitting above.

Best bet is a bar change. 10" apes work well and the Khrome Werks Sweeper series is probably the most popular bagger bar. I have been researching bars for quite a while and the 2+2 Sweeper looks like what I will be changing too. The OP should be aware that a bar with more rise and pull back will likely require throttle/clutch cable replacement as well as brake line replacement to accommodate the added length. Hill Country Customs offers some good packages of bars and the required cables/lines required, or just the cables and lines if the bars are purchased somewhere else. The OP can save some major $$ by buying the parts, setting aside a weekend and a couple of six packs and making this a DIY project.

http://www.khromewerks.com/1-inch-Sweepers-and-Bagger-Sweepers-1065-179-1.html

http://www.hillcountrycustomcycles.com/Handlebars-C145.aspx
Thanks dolt! I am really doing all I can to stay "within" the fairing. But for anyone else going higher, I have seen a youtube video where the guy doing the recording shows no need to extend the wiring for up to 12", I think. HD put enough wire to extend the bars! I know, it seems strange to me too!

Back