free website stats program Battery | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery

ksboy

Account Removed
How many of you change your battery out every 2-3 years as preventative maintenance as opposed to waiting until it leaves you stranded? My battery is coming up on it's 3rd anniversary, and I am considering changing it in the spring whether it is still cranking or not.
Good idea or waste of $?

How many of you change your battery out every 2-3 years as preventative maintenance as opposed to waiting until it leaves you stranded? My battery is coming up on it's 3rd anniversary, and I am considering changing it in the spring whether it is still cranking or not.
Good idea or waste of $?

Depends on what kind of battery you have. If it is a high end sealed battery like an Odyssey, these can last twice that long. I replaced my HD OEM battery with one of these in 5/06. But I do keep a Battery Tender Jr. hooked up any time the bike is in the garage.

My Dyna on the other hand has a cheap wet cell from Walmart. Those I would change out every 3 years.

TQ

With my wet cell batteries, I always checked the specific gravity with the syringe & floating balls. I replaced when at 25%, I always had good luck (2-3yrs.) with the cheap Everstart's from Walmart. I'm still deciding what to do with my '07 sealed OEM batt.

If you keep you bike on a tender regardless of the season, it is not uncommon to get 5-7 years out of a battery.

If I'm at home mine are on the tenders. Goes a longgggg way in battery life.
I keep both of mine on all the time, year round.

With my wet cell batteries, I always checked the specific gravity with the syringe & floating balls. I replaced when at 25%, I always had good luck (2-3yrs.) with the cheap Everstart's from Walmart. I'm still deciding what to do with my '07 sealed OEM batt.

The electrical demand on the battery from the UCs justifies the added expenditure for a stout battery. I have been very pleased with the one I put in the Ultra. But as said above, a tender is part of the equation!!

TQ

About the '07 battery, I ment to say I'm deciding if it's time to replace with
a quality sealed batt. I wouldn't want a wet cell in the E.G. As careful as I have been, I've always gotten acid spots somewhere from a wet cell.

If you keep you bike on a tender regardless of the season, it is not uncommon to get 5-7 years out of a battery.

If I'm at home mine are on the tenders. Goes a longgggg way in battery life.
I keep both of mine on all the time, year round.

The electrical demand on the battery from the UCs justifies the added expenditure for a stout battery. I have been very pleased with the one I put in the Ultra. But as said above, a tender is part of the equation!!

TQ

A battery tender isn't as exciting as many other accessories but, IMO is one of the first you should buy. I'm entering the fourth year on my battery (HD Batt.) and it is going strong. I give a lot of credit to the Batt Tender. No intention of replacing my battery anytime soon.

I store my bike through the winter months in a mini warehouse where there is no elec. I remove the battery and place it next to my battery under the hood of my 1989 Chevy pickup. A bungee strap holds it in place securely. I run a small wire from the Chevy battery to the posts of my bike battery. It stays charged. I only drive the truck 3 or four times weekly. I always have the battery with me and it is ready for use. I am still using the battery that came on my 2003 Heritage Springer FLSTSI that I bought in 2003. Works for me but maybe not work for any one else.

Attachments

• hdto01.jpg
    hdto01.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 12
Thanks guys. I started putting a battery tender on last year when my generator started to act up. I am wondering if after long rides I should allow the battery to "cool down" before plugging it in. Any thoughts on that?

Back