free website stats program Battery | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery

rwestes

The battery in my 2004 Heritage Softail won't stay charged. This is the 3rd new battery since we got it in October 2003. The charging system seems to check out okay. What could be causing this problem?

we have it plugged to a battery tender when not being used. it was fully charged yesterday when we went for a short ride, about 1 1/2 hr, and stopped to get an ice cream. After being off for 15 - 20 min it wouldn't start! There is only a clock in the spedometer, nothing extra. it is very frustrating. the harley shop keeps saying there is nothing wrong, but we still keep having trouble.

Sooo.....Are you sure the charging system checks out o.k., or are you taking the shops word for it? What I'm asking is have you checked it with your own eyes.

yes, i took it to another mechanic today and the stater appeared to checked out okay with an ohms meter. and it checked out okay when the bike was running. but after being shut off it will start twice and may or may not start the 3rd time.

I had a Chevy once that acted like that, it turned out to be a bad starter.
Is the Battery dead when it wont start, or just Hot? Will it start if you let it sit for an hour instead of 15 minutes?

nope! genuine HD (all three of them)

thanks TQ, you have given me some great ideas to check out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back