free website stats program Battery Tender flashing green light | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Tender flashing green light

maxelee

I have a new battery in my 2007 Fatboy just last summer 2013. I have a super smart battery tender plugged in and always on. About a week ago I went to start the Fatboy to get it ready for storage for the winter months here in Iowa and nothing no click all the lights are full but no click at the switch. I went a head and put the tender back on. Some days later checking on the tender I noticed that the green constant light that was on is now a green fast blinking light. I have never seen this before and am wondering if this may have something to do with the battery being completely dead causing my no start problem or what the problem might be.. Anyone out there with any useful information would be appreciated as I am not sure what is going on.. Thanks .. Maxelee

I have a new battery in my 2007 Fatboy just last summer 2013. I have a super smart battery tender plugged in and always on. About a week ago I went to start the Fatboy to get it ready for storage for the winter months here in Iowa and nothing no click all the lights are full but no click at the switch. I went a head and put the tender back on. Some days later checking on the tender I noticed that the green constant light that was on is now a green fast blinking light. I have never seen this before and am wondering if this may have something to do with the battery being completely dead causing my no start problem or what the problem might be.. Anyone out there with any useful information would be appreciated as I am not sure what is going on.. Thanks .. Maxelee

First off be sure that the cables are clean and tight...
This quote is from Battery Tender website:

" GREEN FLASHING - When the green light is flashing, and the red
light is on, the battery is greater than 80% charged and may be removed
from the charger and used if necessary. Leave the battery on charge until
the green light is solid whenever possible. Once the green light begins to
flash, it will remain flashing until the battery charger output current drops
below the optimum recharge threshold, or until the absorption timer
expires."

Load test the battery; doesn't matter how new or old the battery is; they can just die. I also had a similar problem last year with a Deltran tender and the tender went bad.

I turned the key on to get codes from the check engine light once when the battery tender was plugged in. Made the tender lights go haywire for awhile. A day later it was back to normal.

The Battery Tenders (whatever brand) are just that - battery TENDERS. They are NOT chargers. If your battery has a low charge or is dead, do NOT use the battery tender to try and recharge the battery. Use a battery charger or take the battery out of the bike and to an auto supply store to have the battery charge and load tested. Once the battery is fully charged and reinstalled in the bike, then the battery tender can be connected to MAINTAIN the battery in a fully charged condition.

Cheers,

TQ

The Battery Tenders (whatever brand) are just that - battery TENDERS. They are NOT chargers. If your battery has a low charge or is dead, do NOT use the battery tender to try and recharge the battery. TQ
Complete (EDIT). It takes longer to charge with a Battery Tender, but as long as you have the minimum voltage of 9 volts, a Battery Tender will completely charge your battery, 24 hours max. For that matter, no automatic charger will charge a battery that is below 9 volts, not even a full-size charger for charging automobiles. If your battery drops below 9 volts, you need a manual charger to get it up above 9 volts, then switch to an automatic charger. I have a Schumacher 1 amp manual trickle charger for bike batteries that have dropped below 9 volts. It works great. When the battery is above 9v I switch to my Battery Tender Junior and it works fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Schumacher makes a battery tender that I think is better than the Battery Tender Jr. brand. I have 3, one each for my bike, boat, and riding mower. I had a BT Jr. but it quit charging after a couple of years of use.
Welcome to the forum from Gulf Coast AL.

I use nothing but battery tenders from Deltrand. They bring the charge back up to where it is supposed to be, and keep it there.

Battery Tender Jr = 750ma, Battery Tender plus = 1.25 amp....I use the Jr, They are both excellent for smaller batteries. I keep mine on the bike all winter and most of the year.

Last edited:
I had my tender on the bike the other day. I went to start it, the tender was showing solid green and it was turning over but very slow and wouldnt start. Then the tender turned full red. Of course I thought dead battery but I left it on and went inside for a half hour, came back out and hit starter button and fired right up. It's almost like fhe float maintainer wasnt working right but was showing full charge. Went out 2 days later and fired right up. Always have used the same tender, the junior.

Back