free website stats program Battery Shot | Harley Davidson Forums

Battery Shot

liquid_wrench

Well I noticed that the battery maintainer light was red yesterday....so I took it off the battery and tried to start....Dead. So I load tested it after I got it to charge with my 6 amp charger....no go. Time for a new one.....I guess I'll go with the Deka ETX30L 400 CCA Rating. $105.00 Delivered. Don't know how old the oem Harley battery is....it had no sticker on it ... 2 - years ago when I bought the bike. It was turning over a little slower last fall though. I guess the Deka is the same as oem.

I've been using Deka batteries for years in the Dyna & Electra Glides. I keep them on tenders when inactive for a couple of weeks. There was a period about 4-5 yrs. ago when East Penn Mfg. "supposedly" changed something in the process/line. I got a battery that never really seemed 100% (recent date), and I replaced it after 2 yrs. It didn't fail, just didn't want to go against my gut feeling about it. Bottom line, I'm quite satisfied with the dollar vs. quality of Deka's.

The HD OEM batteries all seem to have lower CCA than what you can buy elsewhere. I replaced my older battery last year after getting 6 years from it. ETX20L for softail. Same symptoms as yours, one day went out and the red light was on and would not crank.

I use a premium AGM battery. CARQUEST sells them. My cost here in Canada is $115. Should be cheaper in the U.S.

I use a premium AGM battery. CARQUEST sells them. My cost here in Canada is $115. Should be cheaper in the U.S.
Steve,

Are the carquest batteries 400 CCA? I think the Big Crank batteries are 420 CCA...I would think 400 CCA is plenty for my stage 1 Harley flhtci

I will look on the battery tomorrow. My bike is in my storage bay at work. Got trapped there by ice ,snow and salt. My bike is a stage 2 and since I went to the premium AGM I have never had a slow start at any temperature. Here is a little write up on AGM technology.

The extreme vibration-resistant batteries are supplied “Factory Activated” (filled, sealed and charged at the factory). The premium batteries offer higher cold cranking amps and includes threaded posts. They feature heavy-duty, flush-mounted terminals and patent pending embedded brass nut. A great upgrade for customized motorcycles requiring the best performance.

I will look on the battery tomorrow. My bike is in my storage bay at work. Got trapped there by ice ,snow and salt. My bike is a stage 2 and since I went to the premium AGM I have never had a slow start at any temperature. Here is a little write up on AGM technology.

The extreme vibration-resistant batteries are supplied “Factory Activated” (filled, sealed and charged at the factory). The premium batteries offer higher cold cranking amps and includes threaded posts. They feature heavy-duty, flush-mounted terminals and patent pending embedded brass nut. A great upgrade for customized motorcycles requiring the best performance.
Steve,

The one I found online from CARQUEST is $118.00 with free shipping and it was 400 CCA

Back