Battery Shot

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by liquid_wrench, Feb 2, 2019.

1. liquid_wrench

liquid_wrench Junior Member Contributor

Well I noticed that the battery maintainer light was red yesterday....so I took it off the battery and tried to start....Dead. So I load tested it after I got it to charge with my 6 amp charger....no go. Time for a new one.....I guess I'll go with the Deka ETX30L 400 CCA Rating. $105.00 Delivered. Don't know how old the oem Harley battery is....it had no sticker on it ... 2 - years ago when I bought the bike. It was turning over a little slower last fall though. I guess the Deka is the same as oem.

2. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Experienced Member

I've been using Deka batteries for years in the Dyna & Electra Glides. I keep them on tenders when inactive for a couple of weeks. There was a period about 4-5 yrs. ago when East Penn Mfg. "supposedly" changed something in the process/line. I got a battery that never really seemed 100% (recent date), and I replaced it after 2 yrs. It didn't fail, just didn't want to go against my gut feeling about it. Bottom line, I'm quite satisfied with the dollar vs. quality of Deka's.

3. gator508

gator508 Well-Known Member

The HD OEM batteries all seem to have lower CCA than what you can buy elsewhere. I replaced my older battery last year after getting 6 years from it. ETX20L for softail. Same symptoms as yours, one day went out and the red light was on and would not crank.

4. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

I use a premium AGM battery. CARQUEST sells them. My cost here in Canada is $115. Should be cheaper in the U.S.

5. liquid_wrench

Steve,

Are the carquest batteries 400 CCA? I think the Big Crank batteries are 420 CCA...I would think 400 CCA is plenty for my stage 1 Harley flhtci

6. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

I will look on the battery tomorrow. My bike is in my storage bay at work. Got trapped there by ice ,snow and salt. My bike is a stage 2 and since I went to the premium AGM I have never had a slow start at any temperature. Here is a little write up on AGM technology.

The extreme vibration-resistant batteries are supplied “Factory Activated” (filled, sealed and charged at the factory). The premium batteries offer higher cold cranking amps and includes threaded posts. They feature heavy-duty, flush-mounted terminals and patent pending embedded brass nut. A great upgrade for customized motorcycles requiring the best performance.

liquid_wrench likes this.
  7. liquid_wrench

Steve,

The one I found online from CARQUEST is $118.00 with free shipping and it was 400 CCA

STEVE07 likes this.